Fireworks - Kam

Tam's POV

When Keefe appeared on his balcony, Tam wasn't surprised. After all, he'd just wondered if his day could possibly get worse; why on earth wouldn't the universe take his challenge? Still, Tam fervently wished he could have one day, one day, of something other than hunting Keefe's mommy and her fellow serial killers. He'd had enough personal time with Gisella for the next eternity, thank you very much.

"What do you want?" Tam sighed as Keefe strolled into his room. Keefe gave his trademark smirk, and Tam's dread-levels rose sharply.

"Well hello to you too, Bangs Boy. Who says I want something? What if I just want to hang out with my bestie?" Tam rolled his eyes.

"I am not going to dignify that last question with an answer. And I know you're here for something because of that little crinkle in your forehead. It's only there when you're concerned, usually for Sophie, and about to do something stupid, also usually for Sophie." He didn't add that the crinkle in Keefe's forehead was very cute.

"I do not have a crinkle! My head is completely and totally crinkle-less!" Keefe said indignantly - the crinkle in question deepened. Tam smirked. "Anyway," Keefe continued, "we got a tip that the Neverseen might be in the Forbidden Cities again, some place called Lake Tahoe. And since everyone else is busy with their fancy council thing, looks like we're up." Tam bit back a sigh. After Keefe came out of his coma with no visible change, everyone had been chasing the Neverseen, trying to find answers. Inexplicably, they didn't seem to be hiding - they popped up in the Forbidden Cities every other day or so, but the Black Swan and the Council hadn't caught them yet.

"Fine. Do you have a pathfinder with you?" He asked the blond elf, who nodded. Tam walked to his closet and put on the fitted black jacket he took on sketchy missions like these: the sleeves held extra daggers, and the fabric was made specially to store shadowflux. Not to mention it was comfortable, and he liked that it let him blend into shadows without trying. Tam turned back to Keefe to see he had already created the path. Not bothering to tell Quan and Mai where he was going, he took Keefe's (surprisingly soft) hand and allowed the light to pull them away.

When he opened his eyes, he and Keefe stood on the beach in front of a large lake. It was sunset, and the beach was quite crowded, with families of humans sitting on towels and blankets with food and drinks around them. The air was full of children laughing, people talking, and strange music coming from a stage where a live band performed. There was no sign of Gisella or any of the Neverseen. Tam looked at Keefe, unsure of what to do.

"Huh, its pretty crowded here. I wonder what's going on?" Keefe said, looking around the crowds of people surrounding them. Miraculously, none of them seemed to have noticed the two boys appearing out of midair and holding hands- wait. Tam looked down, mortified to see that they were still holding hands. He jerked his hand away and Keefe turned around. Both boys blushed and tried to change the subject.

"So-" Tam and Keefe said simultaneously. Keefe coughed to cover an awkward laugh and Tam continued on as if nothing had happened, trying to ignore the blood rushing to his face.

"I don't know what's going on here. Do you know if it's normal for humans to sit in rocky sand staring at a lake in large numbers? Do you speak English, anyway? We might need to talk to them."

"Yeah, I speak some English. Anyway, we might want to stop calling them 'humans' - they'll start thinking we're aliens or something!" Keefe remarked, a smirk hiding in the corner of his mouth - which I should not be looking at. Pull yourself together, Tam!

"Yes, well, someone should tell these large endothermic mammals that we look nothing like their ridiculous ideas of aliens. By the way, you realize they can't understand us, don't you?" Tam told him, raising an eyebrow and trying to strangle the laugh that was doing its best to break out and embarrass him. Keefe snorted a laugh and Tam felt his lips curve in a full smile before he could stop them.