Chapter 6: Tremors

This ended up being a longass bloody chapter but whoop its finally done weheeeeee

☆☆☆

"When I heard that sound
When the walls came down
I was thinking about you
About you."
(Skin - Rag N Bone Man)

"Mom?.." Was all Venus' nervous self could manage to get out as the foreboding rumbles sounded beneath her feet.

But Venus' mother barely could utter an answer of her own before the earthquake's impact reached her daughter and cut the contact off with alarming static.

The quake launched her into the side of the phone box with brutal force, her back erupting in pain as the impact shattered the glass into ice like shards.

She wasn't sure if she'd hit her head or if it was shock that caused her vision to distort with black blurs. Thought was near impossible. As she found herself falling forward to the pounding ground with a yelp and a thump, in the daze all she could do was squeeze her eyes shut and try not to be afraid. It wasn't exactly a good survival move. She rarely had good survival instinct. Fear was paralysing for her. Bravery to do much else in that moment was absent.

The quakes vibrated through her palms pressed against the dirt. Shakes so powerful it turned her stomach and threatened to bring back up the free pink donut from earlier. Her head was spinning and she wasn't sure if she was crying out or not. She couldn't hear.

However, she did notice when the shakes subside, after how long she wasn't sure. The sickness sat in her gut with subtle threat to not move too fast.

A groan passed her lips in sync as she lifted her head carefully from the ground to find herself still within the remains of the phone box's metal shell. Though as she looked around her stiffly she found all the window glass scattered around her. Feeling some scratching against her head as it sat in her thick hair, and quite a bit stuck in the back of her jacket.

Putting a hand to her head, attempting to will the dizzy, sick feeling away. Cyan eyes blinked lazily at the scene around her. Silhouettes moved in the distance. And the screams that for now were not deafened by nature hit her ears, it prompted her to pull herself up. She had to move.

Every contraction of her muscles that got Venus stumbling outside of that box was met with an aching groan and her body protesting, like when it tried to convince her to stay in bed most mornings.

She could feel the glass shards in the jacket fabric as it scratched uncomfortably against her back, and so simply slipped it off and discarded it on the road as she moved forwards with caution. Taking in the scene of the town.

Complete and utter carnage was a fitting description that came to her mind with the sights of the previously rustic high street reduced to crumbling structures that threatened to collapse from their weakened structures. Cars were left stranded in the street as their owners had made attempts to flee the chaos that from what she could see stretched for most of the town - presumably all of it.

The people all around seemed as shaken as her, trying to work out the best course of action.

Reacting should have been instinctive. But fear inhibited it.

Murmuring incoherently to herself under her breath, her eyes fluttered shut as she attempted to force herself to calm down. Pushing that anxiety that felt like a crushing sensation within her chest down where it couldn't keep its hold. Her mind filtered for anything calming.