Chapter 44

Apparating in a large group was less fun than it sounded. Draco wasn't sure where Hunter was taking them. He didn't want to interfere with their destination. Draco kept his mind blank, closing his eyes and waiting. 

It was a sinking feeling starting in his stomach and stretching  throughout his body. He felt squished and cramped, like something was fitting him into a box smaller than him. 

At last, taking all too long, they stopped. Wind rushed beneath him and Draco opened his eyes. He was falling. Just a little below him was tall parched grass covering the ground along with a small pond. Draco screamed as his body crashed into the puddle, drenching him. 

It wasn't a hard, thr ground. The water soaked dirt, which had turned to mud, made for a soft enough landing. Draco was sure she hadn't broken anything. 

Sitting up on his knees, Draco looked around. It was bright out, the sun shining harshly above. After being in the dark dungeon for hours, Draco's eyes had a hard time adjusting, though he couldn't imagine how the girls felt. The ground, hidden in the grass, had patched of snow. A thin blanket of the cold snow covered the ground. Looking up, Draco saw it was snowing. 

"Son of a Horntail, who are you?"

Draco whipped his head around. A tall man with shaggy red hair and freckles stood over him. A thought occurred to Draco and he peeked around the man. As expected, The Burrow stood clearly in view, various roofs covered in snow. 

"Ah," he said, "Which Weasley are you?"

The man quirked an eyebrow. He said, "Charlie Weasley." Charlie looked Draco up and down before continuing. "You're obviously a Malfoy. Draco I presume?"

"Yeah, that's me," Draco mumbled. He pushed himself up on one knee to stand. He looked around. "Where are the others? Did they make it?"

"Slow down, mate," Charlie said. He was frowning, a look that didn't suit his face. Charlie had dark circles under his red, puffy eyes. "How did you get here? How . . . How are you not dead?"

Draco swallowed, looking at Charlie. The older Weasley seemed stunned to see him. The way Charlie kept looking up and down, as if Draco wasn't actually there.

"Charlie," Draco said, "Why do you think I'm dead?'

Charlie shook his head. A small smile cracked across his face and he chuckled dryly.

"You've been missing for three months. It's December twenty-eight right now. Kingsley, the Acting Minister of Magic, he came by a couple days ago to tell us that they were pulling back resources on the investigation of your dissappearence. They are presuming Ginny and the rest of you dead unless new evidence comes up to prove they need to keep looking."

Draco's eyes widened. His sense of time was completely messed up. He'd been asleep for three months. He blinked trying to comprehend it. Even though all he'd done was sleep, Draco felt tired. He wanted to curl up and slee again. 

"Granger. Where is she? She knows what happened." 

Draco spun around, looking for her. He had trouble looking through the bright outdoors. His eyes were almost refusing to adjust.

"You're the only one here. No one else came," Charlie said.

"No. They have to be. You Weasley's are daft. But even you know to set apparation charms. I can't get in here. Hunter did it. They have to be here," Draco explained. 

Without warning, Draco took off running. He pushed aside the yellowed grass as he ran, searching for anyone. He lost track of time. Charlie chased after him for a bit, but in the end, he sat back at the Burrow and waited. It seemed to be hours, but it was only a matter of minutes. Draco stopped next to a large hole in the ground. He sat net to it, dangling his feet in and took a breather.