Chapter Thirty

Emily

Giulia

...

The girl had anchored herself to the velvet chair. Mat's hand in hers was the holding thing preventing her from digging her poisonous claws into Mr Dawson's heart.

She breathed slowly. Once, twice. Just like Andre had thought her to control her feelings.

Whatever that man was doing in dealing with the mist people, he must have not understood the depth of his actions. She doubted he was aware of the fact that they were immortals or how they ... disposed of his enemies. And whatever the mist people wanted in dealing with a mortal... that couldn't be anything good.

-We wait until the immortal leaves and then we follow the mortal - she whispered to her friends.

They all nodded in agreement.

-What do you know of the kidnapped girl? - she squeezed Mat's hand.

He didn't pretend to not know her.

-She graduated from MIT last year in Biotechnologies. We ... we were in the same foster house together. -

The girl knew there was more to it, but she didn't push it. That information was more than enough for now.

Why would the mist people want bioengineer? And how on Earth were they planning to get 234 extra voters for the elections?

The music stopped, the entire Opera started clapping. The immortal above them left without a word, leaving the future major to enjoy his evening. Jane shifted unconfortably in her seat, wanting to pursue the murderer.

But their real enemy was still sitting. The path-changer might have been the executioner, but it was the future major who controlled his hand. He was the one who knew about the girl's location.

His velvet chair shifted loudly, and heavy steps moved towards the exit.

The girl jumped readily, followed by three shadows.

Mr Dawson was nothing like she had pictured him in her head. He was a severely overweight, middle-aged man with a horrible sense of style. His long black suit wrapped him like a stuffed sausage. His eyes were so deep into his fat forehead that the girl could have not said what colour they were.

He kept stopping and waving at other elderly members of the high class societies. His triple chins wobbled every time he nodded. If he had a neck, it was deep buried inside.

Giulia had put her mask back on and she was walking confidently towards the exit, as if the man's presence was of no importance at all.

-Wait - Mat whispered. -I have a plan. -

He took her by the arm and moved right into the councilman's path. Giulia kept her smile on, but she couldn't prevent her heart from pounding furiously against her chest.

-Mr Dawson! How lovely to find you here! - he greeted him. The girl wondered how Mat didn't cringe whilst shaking his hand.

-Oh yes, young man! Glad to see you again! -

If the girl hadn't been able to read emotions, she would have never known that was a lie. The councilman had no idea of who they were, but was acting for the purpose of impressing curious onlookers.

-But I am being rude. This is Emilié, my girlfriend. - she nodded in his direction. - And I hope the campaign is going as planned? -he asked with a wolfish smile. -My father is dying to get any news on the topic, the last time you saw him was ages ago ... uhm ... it must have been at one of your dinners, cannot remember for the sake of me where your lovely house was-

Mr a Dawson narrowed his eyes, trying to remember the boy's father. Emily could have kissed Mathias right there. The councilman was a trainer actor. He had probably dined with thousands of rich people to gain their favour. Mathias was clever, good-looking and well-spoken. He could have easily passed for the son of a noble.

-Ah yes of course - continued Dawson. - It is right by the coast, in Street Valentine, you must remember the beautiful view of the ocean from the rooftop. -

The coast, where most of the murders had happened. It made perfect sense.

The man was lying, there must have been no rooftop. The question was a test. The girl felt stripes of doubt pouring from his heart. With the corner of her eyes she spotted Mat's luminous path diving in two, and for once, she stopped him from making the choice.

-Oh I wouldn't trust Tommy's memory - she laughed putting on a French accent into her words. She didn't use his real name as unlike her, he would have to stick with it. -Yesterday he forgot to pick me up from Paris despite me telling him repeatedly when my plane was ... what is that in English ... landing. -

-She most certainly did not - Mat's complained, playing along with her game. The paths in front of him disappeared.

-Let's not get into this right now, your father is waiting for you in the villa, mon cherie -

Mr Dawson laughed with them and Mathias offered him a goodbye hug.

A couple of guards arrived to collect the councilman and guide him safely outside. They took an elevator towards an inner psrt of the Opera House, making it impossible for them to follow him.

Jane and Isaac appeared straight after.

-Shit! We lost him! - Jane whispered.

-Nah we didn't- Mat surprised her. He pulled out a simple smartphone out of his pocket and digited a series of random numbers.

A GPS map showed on the screen, a single blinking dot moving farther away from them.

-I usually do not hug greesy fat councilmen - he explained. -But when I do, I make sure I put a tracker in between their coats. I say we get divided, two of us go to the mansion on Street Valentine and the other two follow wobbly jelly man to wherever he is going. -

Isaac wasn't enthusiastic about the plan. -The last time we got divided, one of us ended up being kidnapped. -

Mathias' winked. -That's cause you didn't have me. And I put trackers in all of your clothes so I doubt you can get misplaced. -

-What?! - she gasped. -And what if they make us take our coats off? -

-What makes you think it's in your coats?- he added, not a whisper of embarrassment in his emotions. - Just make sure to keep your underwear on. Oh and also Isaac... Superman boxers? Really? -

Isaac muttered some kind of justification blushing furiously.

-We are wasting time - said Jane. -Isaac, we are going to the mansion. Text us in three hours or if anything else happens. Otherwise, we will see you at the safe house. -