✿ chapter fourteen ✿

Chapter Fourteen.

The wheels of the cart that had been stacked to the brim with books squeaked each time I pushed it. I had become used to this sound. The sound of the bookstore. Despite their relative unpleasantness, because who honestly enjoys the sounds of rusty wheels, I drew comfort from them. They were an anchor. An anchor to this world and a reminder of my home.

I heard the bells wrapped around the doorknob ring, so I stopped pushing the cart and made my way towards the front of the story. I looked down at my phone, and judging by the time (2:30 on the dot) Skye would've been in the alley behind the store, taking her regular smoking break. The customer had his back towards me as he looked at one of the book displays at the front of the store. Even just his back gave him away. Turbo had a certain way of carrying himself. Like he was secretly carrying the weight of the world on his back and no body else knew. I smiled to myself before putting on a stern face and clearing my throat.

"Just the girl I was hoping to find," Turbo said as he turned around.

"How'd you know I was working today?" I asked.

"Your mom," He admitted with a slight shrug.

Curse that woman. She always put me in these situations. However, the second she met Turbo she was struck by his charisma. I guess he had that affect on parents. He did put on a good show, I will give him credit for that.

"She loves you," I shook my head.

"I know," Turbo laughed. I backed up against the desk, pushing some of the books out of my way and hopping to sit on it's dusty surface. "I just wanted to make sure you were coming tonight,"

"I never said yes," I said while crossing my arms.

"Okay the stubborn thing is cute, I'll admit that much. But it's my birthday and I want there. As the birthday prince you can't deny me," Turbo ran his fingers over the cover of the book next to him on the display.

"Just text me the address. I'll stop by after work,"

"Awesome," Turbo hurried over to me and hugged me. Even sitting on the raised desk, I barely met his chest. He engulfed me in his arms, and buried my head in the warmth of his varsity jacket. I lightly wrapped my arms around him too. We stayed like that for a few moments, until the click of Skye's shoes echoed towards us. I pulled away and nodded.

Skye remained silent until the door slammed shut, leaving us alone in the ghostly store once again.

"So that's the guy," She raised her brows.

"No," I shook my head. "He's a guy. Just a friend,"

"Right," Skye trailed off, barely believing me. But the truth was, I barely believed myself either. Sure he was just a guy. Like any guy. Except he was tall, and charming, and didn't seem to be faking it most of the time. Selfishly he reminded me of my brother and I liked having him around. I missed the chaos a football player brought to the table. The way any situation can change when their around. Turbo was, well, Turbo.

***

As had become my ritual, as soon as I got home from work I entered the mirror. Except this time was different. I was alone. Q wasn't sitting on his jacket on the dead leaves, watching his pocket watch like he had already known I was coming. Everything was still, as if the heart of the world had drained itself. A small white envelope caught my eye amongst the sea of browns. I clutched it in my hand and tore it open.

Juniper,

I hate to do this but I am unable to meet with you today and for the next few days. All will be explained in due time. I wish I could deliver this message to you personally, but you'll have to make due with a little note. I suggest you go home, go to your classes, hang out with your friends, and forget about our adventure for a short time. Check back in a few days and I will be back.