Darkness

"Do we really have to go?" I groaned to my best friend, Anna. "Yes, Em. We were invited. It would be rude not to show up." Anna hissed.

We were going to a party hosted by this girl in our school. "But I hate Brianna!" I stamped my foot.

"Stop it, Emma! You're worse then a two year old!" Anna scolded.

Anna didn't really like Brianna either, but she invited us to her party for some unknown reason, and she wanted to go.

Brianna was certainly not a nice person. She and her "cliche" were the 'popular' ones of the school. They thought they ruled the world, and could do anything they wanted.

Mostly pick on helpless kids. That includes Anna and I.

Oh sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Emma, or Em for short, and I'm eighteen. I'm not pretty or smart, or talented in any way. Boys wouldn't take a second look at me, they're too busy gaping at Brianna anyway.

Anna was routing through her closet, looking for a dress to wear to the party. "How about this one?" She asked, pulling out a gold sequence dress.

I wrinkled my nose. "Well..." I started and looked away. It was hideous. Anna rolled her eyes.

"I guess that's a no then." She muttered, tossing the dress aside. "This one?" I suggested, reaching in and retrieving a pretty lilac dress with black lace.

Anna looked hesitant. "It's beautiful." I reassured her. "Okay, fine." Anna gave in.

-

We stepped out of Anna's black Mini and walked up Brianna's long stone driveway.

We weren't that close to Brianna's mansion of a house, but we could hear the music blaring loudly. A marque was set up at the side.

Anna had a wide grin plastered on her face. "Looks amazing, eh?" I nudged her. Her smile faded.

I furrowed my eyebrows but didn't question her further.

Brianna's parents are stinking rich. Her father is a surgeon and her mother is a pharmacist. They went on a business trip or whatever for the weekend, so Brianna threw a party.

She invited practically the whole school. Boy, she's gonna have fun cleaning up tomorrow!

"Welcome, welcome!" Brianna greeted us with false sweetness, a smile stitched on her face. A look of hatred remained in her eyes.

Neon lights were flashing and the DJ was blaring music. Numerous people were dancing on the large dance floor.

A couldn't help but let out a squeal of excitement. I rushed to the dance floor, dragging Anna with me.

We danced to MTKO's song Classic. I don't think I've ever had as much fun.

-

The atmosphere was great, everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. I was at the large snack table.

Someone had brought home made rocky road, and I was busy stuffing my face.

Suddenly, the lights went out and the music stopped. It was pitch black. I gasped, causing biscuit crumbs to go with my breath. I started coughing.

A high pitched scream rang out. "I guess someone doesn't like the dark." I muttered to myself.

The lights came back on. More screams were heard. I stood on my tip-toes to see what was happening.

My blood ran cold when the sight met my eyes. A girl's body lay still next to the large speakers. She was dead.

"Everybody run!" A voice yelled. Panic erupted and everyone was now screaming.