Chapter Four ~ Song

I was still pondering what I had found in the Lady Helen's room that afternoon, though my thoughts kept wondering too the blonde haired prince. His fighting was excellent, and I didn't doubt it when he had claimed to have been trained at birth. I was slightly worried, however, that he had seen me use magic. I shook my head, no he couldn't of. He would have said something if he had.

"Merlin, how could you be so foolish!" I heard Gaius shout as he walked through the door.

"He needed to be taught a lesson," I said, my back facing him.

"Magic is studied and used for good, not for idiotic pranks," He exclaimed, and I turned around.

"What is there to master?" I cracked. "I can move objects like that before I could talk!"

"Then perhaps you should learn how to control it yourself."

"I don't want too. If I can't use magic, what have I got?" I said, desperately. "I'm just a nobody. And I always will be. If I can't use magic... I might as well die."

Gaius looked at me for a second in disbelief. I expected him to say something, that I did matter. But he didn't. I too a deep breath and turned around, and went back to my room, and helplessly laid in bed, trying to think of something useful to do. I heard the door open, but didn't make a move to get up.

"Merlin," I heard Gaius' voice. "Get up, take your shirt off." And I did, and saw that he had a bowl of bandages and ointments.

"You don't know why I was born like this, do you?"

"No." I was expecting that answer. No one knew, not even me. He started patting some ointment on my wounded skin.

"I'm not a monster, am I?" I half joked.

"Don't ever think that," He said, sincerely.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Then, why am I like this? Please, I need to know, why?" I questioned.

"Maybe there's someone with more knowledge than me-" He started.

"If you can't tell me, no one can," I interrupted. He stayed silent for a second, then handed me a small cup of liquid."

"Take this, it will help with the pain." I took it without a word, and he patted my leg, then took his bowl and left.

~~

Merlin....... Merlin.....

I jolted awake at the voice. I had heard it before, in the cell. I sat up and got out of bed. Determined to find out what it was. I creaked through Gaius' study, and out through the door.

Merlin...

I heard again as I walked through the courtyard, and through the dungeons, letting the voice lead me. I stopped when I saw two guards playing dice, and used a spell to get their attention. Once they were distracted I snuck through, and the voice came again, stronger now.

Merlin...

I lighted a torch and hurried down some stone steps.

Merlin.....

I stepped through a small passage way and into a huge, empty cavern.

The voice laughed.

"Where are you?" And suddenly a beast flew down, its wings bating wind in my face and I squinted. My eyes grew wide as I saw a dragon in front of me.

"I'm here," It spoke, it's voice as strong as ever now that I was in such close proximity with it. I felt it's warm breath against my body as it talked.