Annihilation

Sam sat comfortably staring at the clear blue skies, stroking her cat while enjoying a hot cup of coffee. With closed eyes she savoured the winter's breeze , cold yet comforting. Living on the outskirts of town was oddly satisfying. She had decided to wait on her mom to return from her shopping.

The ground shook lightly making her cat leap from her lap, spilling the hot liquid on her, thankfully it wasn't hot enough to scald.

"Seriously Tabby. The hell?" She cautioned, her cat sparing no attention sprinted into the house. Earthquakes were common, so she wasn't bothered. She placed her mug on the floor, bringing the cursive writing to view "Luckiest Monster In The World". The mug was a gift from her mom, an awful joke she must say but she loved it regardless.

"Tabby, it's just a bloody quake. Nothing serious" she muttered tugging her sticky clothes. She prepared herself to head in to take down the glass artifacts that could shatter if another earthquake repeated itself.

The ground rubbled once again, this time with greater vigor and a longer duration. She gripped the wooden rails, steadying herself. This was different, something was different. A sickening feeling rushed to her guts, as she felt the urge to hurl her insides out. She felt her forehead breakout a sweat and her vision blurred.

"Must be a flu" she pondered taking up her cell phone to buzz her Mom. The only response gotten was the dial tone beeping indicating it was out of service. She looked at the bars on her screen

NO SIGNAL

"Shit"

Suddenly a large explosion rang through the air making her fall flat on her butt. Her eyes widened when she processed where the noise came from. A cloud of smoke surrounded the city like a blanket.
She scrambled to her feet rushing into the house to grab the truck keys, luckily she saw Tabby hiding under the couch and picked her up too.

She drove madly,closer to the city, screams and wails loud and dense. She gripped her steering wheel trying to calm the raging storm brewing within.

A man dressed in a military outfit suddenly appeared right before her making her hit the brake so hard that she was was thrust forward. She cursed under her breath and exited the car.

Right before the bridge was a blockade of men in uniforms and armed with guns, each with a gas mask.

The gun was aimed at her as she was ordered to get on her knees. Due to her noncompliance she was roughly subdued.

"Let go of me, my mom's in there. Let me go"

"Captain's orders, none allowed across the bridge. You are an uninfected"

"An Uninfected!! What are you talking about? Let me go, you sicko."

Another explosion rang severing the bridge right before her. Ashes fell like snow onto her face.
A gun butt slammed against her head successfully rendering her unconscious.

Total Word Count: 496