chapter 4 - a sorry is not enough

so slowly I walked back to the office where I'll be working with Jughead.. this feels like hell. Why does he need to be everywhere and to always ruin everything I would do for myself.

I slowly opened the door, making him to stand up immediately to face me.

He still stood like 2 meters away from me as we were looking at each other awkwardly. It was completely silent.

„hey.." he started and I rolled my eyes while sighing loudly. I sat down on my desk to start working and getting to know the case we were working on. Jughead meanwhile didn't move and continued to stare at me.

„Don't you have a job to do?" I said annoyedly.

„Yes.. It's just.. we haven't seen each other in so long you know.." he replied shyly.

„Amazing." i sighed and kept being focused on my computer.

„how are you doing?" he suddenly asked and that was when his level of annoyance was at the maximum.

„Jughead. We're here to work, okay? I don't wanna talk to you about anything else." I snapped.

He slowly nodded and went to his desk. But a thought didn't seem to go out of his mind.

„Why are you being so mean?" he suddenly asked.

„You're seriously asking me that right now?" I raised my eyebrows at him as he nodded slightly.

„Jughead, you fucking used me for god knows how long. I was only an object for you for god's sake."

All the memories suddenly came up again, making me to start shaking.

„Betts, that's 3 years ago..."

„Don't 'Betts' me. And it doesn't matter how long ago it was. You broke my heart into a million pieces." I snapped and looked him deeply into the eyes from the other side of the room. We stared at each other in silence for a bit longer until I broke the eye contact and sat down again. I was furious.

He slowly nodded and sat down sadly. He was intimidated and behaving very weirdly.

„I hope you know that I'm really sorry.." he added.

„Yeah. But a sorry might be not enough sometimes." I whispered and looked at the ground. Jughead swallowed and bit his lip. You could tell that this hit him hard.

I slammed the door right after I entered my apartment.

„Jughead!" a girl walked up to me and smiled widely.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and pecked my lips, noticing my bad mood within a few seconds.

„What's wrong?" she asked in confusion.

„Nothing." I sighed and broke the eye contact.

„Jug look at me." she said and cupped my cheeks. „You can tell me everything, you know that right.. I'm your girlfriend. You can tell me every single thing that's bothering you and I'll try to cheer —"

„No.. please just leave me alone for a second." I whispered and pulled away.

„Wha-a.. why..?" she stuttered.

I started walking away from her to my little office to get some alone time.

„Jughead what the hell is wrong with you. You're behaving weirdly for such a long time now. I just wanna help you." she yelled which caused me to stop walking away. I turned around and sighed.

„Why would you care." I replied quietly, making sure that Lisa won't hear me.

„Excuse me?" she raised her eyebrows at me and I just shook my head. „Nothing."

„You keep pushing me away! Why would you do that. I'm your girlfriend." she snapped.

„I'm not pushing you away." I sighed.

„Oh? Is it loving then? So it's not like everytime I wanna cuddle, kiss you or have sex with you, you push me away?" she exclaimed and I looked away while taking a deep breath.

„What are you hiding from me, Jughead. How is this supposed to work if you do not open up to me?!" she became furious.

„I'm not hiding anything." I replied. I mean.. what am I supposed to tell her? That I've met my ex girlfriend after a few years again and that I'm even working with her for the next couple of months? Yeah totally sounds like a plan and something you would tell your girlfriend.

„You're lying. You always are." she yelled and I looked away.

„No.. Lisa.. Come on." I walked after her but it was already too late.

„No. Fuck you, Jughead. You're breaking me." she snapped and slammed the front door right after leaving the apartment. I stood there motionless. Did she just break up with me? Or was it just a stupid fight and she needs time? Ugh. Everything is just too much. Everything is confusing me. My feelings are completely messed up.

I leaned against the wall and slowly glid down to sit. I curled up like a ball and started philosophizing about my life. All the memories came back. Everything that I've experienced with Betty. And at the same time Lisa yelling at me hurts as well.. I love Lisa, I really do.. but deep down I guess I know that there's a person I might love even more. I still do. I shouldn't have been such a dick. I shouldn't have let her go.

So now I'm grieving for Betty and Lisa at the same time? I need to get my feelings straight, this is completely messed up.

Out of nowhere I started sobbing quietly, thinking about what my life is like.

———————————

the way I don't know already how I should continue lmaoo. I obviously know what I wanna write about, storyline wise, but I have no clue what to do in between to have some time passing in between the aspects I want to add. So in case you're having any suggestions, let me know🤍 it would help a lot.