Chapter One

I have no idea how long I've been gone, but it's been a while. The world has changed quite some since I remember. My teacher says that the world used to be a great and happy place, filled with gentile, calm, and kind people. Then, the war happened. I have no idea where he is, my brother I haven't seen since the first shooting at the top of that building. I shuddered at the thought of him. I don't want to think about him right now. Right now, I need to focus on what I am doing.

"Now concentrate, Paige. This is a hard concept and you need to give this your total focus and thought."

I grunted as I began to make my teacher, Maxie, do a back-flip. "I'm trying," I managed to spill out. I closed my eyes and tried to force Maxie's mind to make her do a flip.

"I'm not moving yet, Paige. If you want your Nano powers to grow, fully and properly, then you have to do this. I know it's hard for someone of your age, but you need to get through this before we can enter the next stage."

Nano powers are special and, as far as I know, am the only person left with this special power. It gives me the ability to control other people's minds and it's really hard for me because I am only fifteen. No one can know, however, about my powers except for Maxie. There are different and evil people out there. Lots more now that the war has happened. Most people want to hunt us down and turn us in to the government, even though they have powers as well. If you don't have a power, the government considers you worthless and has you either thrown out of town, or worse.

"Yes, you are finally concentrating!" I opened my eyes just enough to see Maxie slowly lifting off the ground.

"Finally," I called. Just after I said this, Maxie fell to the ground.

"You had it. You lost your concentration and focus. If you want your powers to strive, you have to get over this 'lack of thought thing' that you have. What caused you to lose focus?"

"I opened my eyes and saw that you were beginning to levitate. After that I just got lost in the thought of finally doing something right."

"All right, we need to figure out how to keep you imagination under control."

I helped to lift Maxie off the ground and back onto her feet. As she stood up, I saw a glimpse of a small bird-like birthmark on her right shoulder, just like mine. She must be a Nano as well. No wonder she knows so much about training my powers.

"Maxie?"

"Yes, what do you need?

"Why is the Nano mark on your shoulder?"

"My brother used to be a Nano. The government killed him a while ago in the war. As an act of rebellion, I tattooed the mark on my shoulder."

"Oh, got it."

"But that doesn't matter anymore. Get up. We must try again."

I grunted as I managed to stand myself up. As I made my way back to my position, I couldn't help but wonder about the government. Why do they want to hunt Nanos down so badly?

"Alright, now remember. Keep your focus on me alone. Imagine my body doing a back-flip, OK? Imagine the rotation of my hips and make my mind imagine it."

I closed my eyes and imagined Maxie's body doing the back-flip. Her hips, how they stayed strait during the trick. As well as her arms as they swayed in the air, following her body in perfect unison. I positioned myself and concentrated hard. I heard Maxie's fast inhale and knew that I was doing it. Don't get distracted, I tell myself. You are almost there!