Chapter Four

Maxie stood up from her slumber.

"What? What the heck are you talking about?"

"It was him, Maxie! It was him. He did this."

I gestered toward my leg and then to her face.

"Micheal? Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure."

"Paige, you were probably dreaming or something."

"That's the funny part though. I thought about that same thing, that I might have been dreaming, but I pinched ymself and everything! I'm not lying. I saw him," I said looking at her with pleading eyes, begging her to believe me.

"Sweetheart, just go back to bed." She placed her hand gently on my shoulder and sqeezed slightly.

"Alright," I said nodding.

"Good," was all she said before she laid herself back down and driffted off to sleep.

I crawled back over to my sleeping spot and laid on my back with the covers over my front. I wondered about the voice.

Was it really him?

I turned to my side and thought about the whole night once more before sleep took over me.

--------------------

I woke up to the sound of horns, coming in from every corner and wall. I stood up abruptly, but quietly, trying not to wake Maxie up. However, I looked over my shoulder toward the doors to see Maxie wide awake, standing up just as I am with her hands out in front of her. Her once smooth hair was now in tangles from sleep and her eyes had large dark bags underneath them, giving me the hint that she didn't sleep very well last night.

The horns blared again sending my eardrums through a sound rollercoaster. Maxie jumped at the sound. She ran towards the doors, opening just one to ensure her own safety. She cracked the door open and peeked through the small hole that she had made.

"Good morning mg dear citizens of Belfort! I beg your parden for the annoyingly loud noise. But it was ment to wake you all up so that I may give you this important information!"

Me and Maxie shared a glance at each other. Each one of us had the same look across our face; confusion.

"We all know that merely a week ago, we had our blessed ceremony known as Chime Time. We have scored each one of you and placed you accordingly. You see citizens of Belfort, we, as in The Government, have developed a new system. Based on your scores, the highest twelve will be transported to a new school of extreme talents to learn to enhance your powers properly. However, three out of the last twelve people, will be removed from this civilization, permanently."

The way he said that last word sent a chill down my back. I was nervous about this. What if I was one of those last twelve?

He began to read from a list.

"Starting from the top of the scale we have, Julie, Karen, Paige-"

I gasped at the sound of my name. I would be going to the new school. Then, of course, what would happen to me? Would they find out about my real power? Would Maxie come to help me develop my real skills? How long would this school last? I had so many questions that I thought my head was about to explode.

"Michael, Shelby, Abi, Gabriel, Kait, Lynn-"

I zoned out for the rest of his list until he was finally done.

"Now will the following people please come to the capitol. Julie, Karen, Paige, Monica, Rachel, May, Genevieve, Janice, Ruth, Mariana, Kaitlyn, and Erin."

------------------

I reached the large, golden capitol building. It was about twenty times the size of the training area and ten times higher. I looked at it in awe as the governor of our city came out from the golden, slide-out doors in the front.

He came down the steps, one-at-a-time, and stood directly in front of us, with his hands behind his back.

"I," he said, stopping to let out a small cough. "Sorry. I am Governor Jones."