Chapter 8: Redeemer

Syb pulled Nika to the center of the path. They stood apart from each other.

"Okay remember. The last thing you think of here will be the only thing you remember when you redeem. Syb instructed. "This is your last chance."

"Last thing. Last thing. Okay." Nika repeated. "I'll just think go down, so I dont go near the ledge."

"Sounds good." Syb said to her. "Hey Nika?"

"Mm?" 

"I'll miss you."

Tears began to flow down Syb's face again.

"I will too Syb." Nika replied holding back her tears. "Can you promise me something?"

"What is it?" Syb replied.

"If you can, try to find me." Nika said. "Save someday for me."

"I will." Syb replied. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Nika said. "Lets do this."

"Start thinking of that last thing now." Syb instructed.

Nika began to repeat the phrase in her head. 

DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN DONT GO UP THE LEDGE GO DOWN

"Okay." Syb said as he raised the cane close to her forehead. "Goodlu-"

Suddenly large claws erupted from Syb's chest. Golden ichor spilling from the wounds. Syb screams in pain. A revenant appears behind him,  its glowing eyes fixated on Nika. It howls at her.

"SYBARIS!" Nika screams.

She lunges towards him, but Syb swings his cane and taps Nika in the temple.

Everything turns white and slowly fades away.

SAVE SYBARIS SAVE SYBARIS

Nika stands alone on her apartment rooftop, staring at the bright city lights. The cold wind blows.

Nika shivers. "Yikes. Time to go back indoors."

SAVE SYBARIS

She turns to look at the bright city lights one more time, all the powerful bright colors making her feel so small. She walks closer and stands on the ledge, her eyes full of wonder. She glances back at the notebook she's holding and sighs.

"It's actually so pointless..." she mutters to herself.

SAVE SYBARIS

"What?" Nika says to herself

SAVE SYBARIS

"What does that even mean!"

Then as if on command, tears began to flow down Nika's eyes. The feeling of love, loss, and fear gripped her whole body. She was sobbing, she didn't even know why.

"I have to save Sybaris." Nika said as she ran downstairs. 

Nika ran through the whole building and came out on the ground floor. Her mind racing, one thought repeating over and over again.

SAVE SYBARIS

SAVE SYBARIS

SAVE SYBARIS

SAVE SYBARIS

Nika burst through the doors, tears rolling dripping onto the ground. 

"SYBARIS!" Nika called out.

There she was, standing alone in the dark. There was nothing but darkness, silence, and Nika's tears.

"I need to save Sybaris." Nika repeated to herself. "I need to save-"

The wind blew. Nika shivered.

"I need to-" 

Nika stood and stared at the ground. 

"I need-" 

Her body quivered.

"I-"

Then she was calm.

"What am I doing?"

Nika stood and stared at the empty street and quiet night sky. Unsure of what she was doing outside in the cold with nothing but her pajamas. Quietly she walked back into the building and returned into her room. She sat on her bed and stared at herself in the mirror. She was the same Nika. Average, small stature, a bright red streak in her hair. She looked the same, but she felt different. She got up and put on a pair of black skinny jeans, a Linkin Park shirt and a blue bomber.  She grabbed her wallet and her notebook and she went out. To be honest, Nika had no idea where she was going. She just walked; in silence she walked in the cold December night, passing under streetlamps and empty streets; she didn't know why, it just felt right. Nikastopped in front of the glow of a still open shop. 

"ICY AVALANCE ICE CREAMERY" the signboard read. "OPEN 24 HOURS"

Without thinking, Nika walked inside. 

She took time to admire the inside of the parlor. It was soothing. Laminated wood walls and low orange light lamps decorated the place. The tables and chairs were also wooden but gave a feel of home and comfort. There were a few other people in the cafe. An old man having a bowl alone; a couple, spoon feeding each other; and a student hunched over a laptop. They went about minding their own business as Nika walked over to the counter where an old lady sat beside a display.

"What will it be, darling?" She asked quietly.

"Mint Chocolate Chip." Nika answered without a second thought. It just felt right.

The lady handed her a large bowl with mint chocolate chip and Nika handed her the money. She took her ice cream and silently walked to the table beside the window. Nika placed her ice cream on the table and sat down, she took her novel out and began to skim through it, absent mindedly scooping ice cream into her mouth. She felt warm, as if she's been there before even if it's her first time ever being in this ice cream parlor.

"Uh excuse me?"

Nika turned to see a  guy. He look Asian in features, maybe Korean or Japanese. He was young, not a day older than 21. His hair black hair messy around his face. He looked like a celebrity. He wore a white shirt under a bright yellow jacket and blue jeans. He was tall, at least 6 feet. He was holding a bowl of ice cream in one hand and a bunch of books in the other. He gave Nika an awkward smile.

"Uh yeah?" Nika replied.

"Well, uhm. You're sitting on my favorite table and I uhm." he started, his eyes avoiding hers.

"Oh sorry." Nika said. "Do you want me to move?"

"No! No!" he hastily replied. "I was just wondering...ifitwouldbecoolwithyouifIsitwithyou...."

Nika's cheeks slowly turn pink.

"Uhm," Nika stammered.

"Is it okay if I, uh." he began again. "Would it be okay if i sat with you?"

Nika glanced at his face. His cheeks began to glow red. She chuckled a bit.

"Sure. I'd like that." Nika said as she gave him a smile.

He placed his ice cream in on the table in front of her. Mint chocolate chip. He took his seat across her and they lock eyes. Their cheeks glowing.

"So, uhm. My name's Nika." Nika said as she extended her hand. "What's yours?"

"Nice to meet you, Nika." the man said as he shook her hand.

"My name's Sybaris."