V - Your Story

You paused and frowned at Rosie as you tried to remember your past. It felt weird; like you were remembering someone else's life.

"What is it?" she asked, frowning back and tilting her head to the side a little.

"I just... I don't know. Everything is fuzzy, and sometimes I feel like I've only been here - I mean here in the West - a few days."

Her eyes opened wide. "Me too y/n! I get the exact same feeling!"

"Really?!" you asked, astonished.

"Yeah! I feel out of place here too, like I had a different life or something - but I think it must be because I hit my head a few days ago."

"You did too?! So did I!!" you exclaimed, and you two looked at each other with wide eyes. You felt an even deeper connection to her now and she felt the same. You both knew there was something very familiar about one another, yet those memories were still hidden behind a curtain.

"I don't remember it well, but from what townsfolk said my Father was a miner, in Annesberg on the East Coast. My Mom apparently died shortly after I was born from childbirth complications, so I was raised by my Father alone. People say he was a good man, hardworking and humble, and I wish I could remember it. When I was 5 there was an accident in the mine - something caused an explosion and it collapsed, killing a bunch of people. My dad was one of them."

"Oh Y/N I'm so sorry" Rosie says empathetically and holds you close. Even though it's a painful subject you love the feeling of warmth and comfort she gives you, which is more than just her body heat.

"Don't worry about, everyone has their struggles out here. Anyways that left me orphaned, some of the neighbors tried to take care of me but I guess losing my parents kind of messed me up, and I got into a lot of trouble growing up. You know, fighting, stealing that kind of thing. It wasn't until I was 14 and met Dutch Van Der Linde that things started to look up. I was in this fight club in Annesberg, illegal I think but not like that stops anyone out here. It was a rough way to make a living but at least it kept me fed. Anyways one day Dutch was in town and watched one of my fights, I beat up a guy that was way bigger than me and he approached me after. I guess he liked me because soon after I was part of his gang."

"You were a fighter Y/N?? But you're so sweet and gentle" Rosie says, taken aback.

"I guess you don't know me very well then Rosie" you chuckle. "I've done some bad things."

"Well I know you well enough to tell that there's still a lot of good in your heart. You could've easily turned me away, you had no obligation to take care of me and share your food when you were trying to survive yourself."

"Well don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to make it up to me" you grin and she smiles back. She has the loveliest smile. Once again you have to snap yourself out of it and try not to fall too much.

"I will Y/N, of course I will. I owe my life to you. So you joined Dutch's gang, what happened next?"

"Well that's basically been my life since then, running with the gang. Robberies are our main thing but I try to stay out of it if I can, they always seem to end in shootouts and I don't like the violence. Mostly I contributed by hunting, I'm good with a bow and arrow."

"See, I knew you were a good person" Rosie says kindly.

"Well I still wouldn't say that, sometimes I don't have a choice but to use guns and do what's necessarily for the gang."

"But that's the thing though, you don't have a choice" she insisted. "That's the difference between you and other people out here who seem to love gunslinging and violence."

"I suppose." You still don't see the same good person in yourself that she seems to, but secretly you're happy she seems to like you.

"So you're still in Dutch's gang? What brought you doing out here?" she asks.

"Raid on some moonshiners gone wrong, it turned into a shootout and before we knew it the law had showed up too. I was with Arthur, he's like a big brother to me, and he helped me get on a moving train to escape while he held them off. He really stuck out his neck for me, I hope he's safe too."

Rosie rubs your hand with her thumb which sends warm tingles rushing through you again.

You continue, "So I got on the train, managed to hijack it kind of and escaped the law. Unfortunately, some of the tracks were washed out in this area so I was stranded. I spent last night on the train and today tried to make some progress back to camp, but like an idiot I've probably been going in circles."

"Where is your gang's camp anyway?" she asks.

"Horseshoe Overlook, outside the town of Valentine. You know it?"

Rosie nods eagerly. "I've been there, it's a lovely place - but it's very far from here."

"Is it that far?" you ask as your heart sinks. She seems to have her bearings around here more than you do.

"It's a long way to walk on foot" she says solemnly. "But maybe if we can find a horse you can get back to your gang."

You scoff. "What do you mean "I" can? You're coming with me Rosie" you crack a smile and give her shoulder a little shake.

She begins to smile but then looks down. "You really think they would accept me? I mean, I'm a wanted criminal..."

You laugh, "Rosie literally all of us are wanted criminals, that's why we look out for one another. As long as your loyal to Dutch and willing to do your part to help out - in any way - you'd be welcomed with open arms."

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Rosie exclaimed happily and have you a squeeze.

"Don't mention it. But first we need to find a way to get back. It's going to be a long journey, so I hope you're prepared to be stuck with me for weeks" you teased.

"I could be stuck with you forever Y/N, trust me" she replied. "But it doesn't have to take that long if we can find a horse."

"How would we do that? Like find someone, knock them out and steal theirs?"

Rosie gasped "Oh no! We would find one in the wild of course."

"In the wild? You can do that?" you asked, skeptical at her idea. "I've only ever thought people bought horses at a stable - or stolen them."

"You can, if you're patient and tame them" Rosie replied. "If we can find a herd of them I'll show you."

"I'm looking forward to it" you said, now really happy you'd been fortunate enough to run into this girl in the middle of nowhere.

"Me too," she replied happily, "but we better get some rest first.

She snuggled up closer and rested her head on your chest. She seemed to love having you with her; she reminded you of a small animal who wanted to be protected, like a baby chipmunk. She seemed so out of place here in this lawless, ruthless land.

As you drifted off to sleep, holding her in your arms, you had this overwhelming feeling to stay close to her. Of course to protect her and keep her safe, that was inevitable since you were already so fond of her - but there was more to it than that.

It was as if you shared something profound with her, as if you two had some kind of connection binding you together that nobody else in this land had. As if for two people who'd been on the run most of their lives and never had a home, you'd found a piece of it in each other.