Troubles

Later that evening, Father came, he was fit, former frankish soldier but now a farmer. He was tried of villagers hazing, Me, Jane and Alec. Mother sits on the bench at the table, carrasing Jane, the only light comes from the candle illuminating us.

'Jane!! What happened to you?' Father shouted as he saw the wounds on Jane.

'She ran into some boys on her way home,' said Mother.

Father erupt in anger that the boys hurt Jane.

'This has gone far enough. This town, these people they need to listen to voice of reason,' said Father.

'Please don't cause any more trouble. It could backfire on our kids,' said Mother.

'So I'm supposed to do nothing is that what your saying?' Father asked. His voice was cold almost icy. 'When people in this village torment our children? Accuse them of witchcraft-----?'

'Don't say that word,' Mother cried. She was shook her head covering her ears.

The barrier that kept me bursted as I ran to Father and hugged him.

'I failed her, I should've protected her, like you asked to me to do,' I said, crying.

Before Father could comfort me, a loud bang on the front door abruptly froze everyone in the room.

'Open this door. We know you're in there,' said a Man's voice.

Father opened the door to three large muscular farmers, the ring leaders in witch hunt for us. They were angry. Additional villagers stand outside holding torches and axes.

One of the man pushed past Father and Me. He looks for Jane.

'Where are they?' The man asked.

'Who?' Mother asked standing up.

'OUR SONS,' Another man shouted.

The second man steps inside and moves past Father before he can stop him. The third man entered behind the second man. These man are out for blood.

'They went to cut firewood and haven't come back. We know they were with that witch earlier today,' said the second man.

The second man pointed at Jane. She struggled to stand up. Mother helped her.

'Our daughter was assaulted by your boys today. Just look at her,' Mother shouted.

'Then she had a reason to harm then,' said  The Second man. 'And I'm sure they have parts in it too.'

'Your boys are probably just playing in the woods,' said Father.

'We've searched for them since dusk. On foot and horse back. Our boys are gone and that one needs to answer for it.'

The first man points at Jane. The third man in Mother's face. I don't like that at all.

'All three of you will pay for this,' said The Third man.

'You're the wicked ones,' I shouted. Small  blue sparks started forming in my finger tips.

'I hate all of you,' said Jane. Her voice became commanding.

Everyone looks at Jane, not expecting her to speak. Usually I would speak. I won't let my siblings go into a confrontation. But Jane doesn't look young and sweet.

'Jane,' Mother shouted. She was scolding, fearing Jane's anger may trigger our ability.

'Ronnie is right. Get out,' said Father.