Chapter Two

"What does he mean?" Liam asked, gently setting his hand on the small of my back to move me forward as we started our walk home.

"He wants me to meet him here tonight at ten."

"Please don't go."

"Niall was pretty adamant, Li. I'm not that scared of what he'll do if I don't, but you've seen his friend group and what they did to Kenny Preen when he spilled a carton of lunch milk on Niall."

Liam shook his head defeatedly. "Yeah, he smelled like spoiled yogurt for a whole week."

"I don't even know how I'm going to get out of my house that late at night."

After a moment of silence, he chimed: "You're not going."

"Liam,"

"I'm going to go in your place. Whatever he wants to say to you he can say to me."

"What if he hurts you or something?"

"Better me than you. Darling, let me do this for you."

"I'd rather not deal with a grumpy Niall the rest of the term. Even if I don't see him tonight he'll probably just figure out a way to get me alone tomorrow."

"How about we both go. I'll lag behind and stay hidden until you need me."

"I don't know..."

"It's either that or I meet him. I won't let you go alone."

"Alright."

We continued our walk in silence. "Do you think you could come over to my place tomorrow?" He asked.

"I don't know. I'll have to ask my dad."

"If he gives you any more trouble, let me know."

"It's just my dad, Li."

"But remember a week ago when you came crying to school because he had hit you?" My father is the epitome of a brute. It's no wonder my mom left us when I started the 7th grade and my dad lost his job, turning to drinking as a solution. Every time he came home drunk he'd wail on my mom, either verbally insulting her sir physically abusing her.

I don't blame her for leaving. I just wish she had the good sense to take her kid with her.

"Don't bring that up, please."

"I'm just saying I'm here for you."

"I'll ask him if I can go." I did my best to change the subject. We arrived at my house, and I moseyed up the front lawn in an effort to delay my arrival home. I looked back to Liam, his fists clenched and eyes dark. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I have to go."

"Bye!" I called as he bounded back down the street. He turned and said something, but I couldn't quite make out what it was.

I sighed and entered the house. The kitchen was littered with beer cans and dirty dishes, matching the general decor of the living room.

"Aurora."

"Hey dad." My father came in to meet me, drunk. I payed little attention and began cleaning.

"I'm going out."

"Where?"

"It's none of your business." He scowled at me before walking to the door. "Don't leave the house. I'll be home tomorrow morning." He slammed the door and I turned back to the kitchen. I think that's the most civil conversation I've ever had with my dad. After cleaning the house I ran to do my homework and get ready to meet Niall.

When the doorbell rang at a quarter till 10, I jumped down the stairs, slowly opening the door to see an unhappy Liam.

"What's the matter?"

"I think you should stay here tonight."

"Li, the plan is that we both go. My dad is gone until tomorrow morning, so I can just sneak out.

"I know, but you're safer here with me." His lips creased into a thin line. He's usually not this persistent about things - what is it about Niall that he hates so much?

"You're being weird, Li. Is everything okay?"

"Why are you so hellbent on seeing him? All he's done is hurt you over and over again and yet you run to him like he's your dream guy!"

"Why are you yelling at me? I only want to see what he wants."

"You know he wants to hurt you!"

"Just stay out of this if you're going to be a dick."

"I'm trying to keep you safe. Why can't you just see that all I want is to keep you safe?"

"I'm perfectly capable of keeping myself safe - it's not your responsibility to protect me."

"Well then who's is it? You're mother is gone, your father obviously doesn't care, so I am literally the only person making sure you don't get hurt!"

"Get out of my way." I shoved past him and trudged down the steps.

"Aurora, get back here."

"No. You can't control me."

"Why are you so stubborn? Just listen to me for a second."

"I am listening. You think I can't handle myself, that you're the only person looking out for me, and that Niall will hurt me."

"He will hurt you! I'm only trying to help you see past your massive crush on him."

"I don't like him!"

"Then why are you going to him?"

"I don't exactly have any other choice. I'd rather deal with him sooner than later." I kept walking briskly down the street, running a hand through my hair as Liam caught up to me.

"Please stop walking for a second." I stopped and turned to him. Instead of lecturing me, he just hugged me tightly. "Don't go. Please don't go. I can't take it if you get hurt."

"Liam, Niall isn't going to physically attack me or anything. I'll be fine. Everything will be okay." He sighed at my words and continued to hold me.

"Then I'll be a few yards behind you if you need me."