Chapter Three

We made it to the school and Liam slipped behind the bleachers. Niall was already there waiting. I sat down next to him, nervously toying with the hem of my coat.

"I'm glad you came. I know Liam didn't want you to."

"Yeah. Why did you want to talk?"

"I just... I wanted to apologize for my behavior these past few years." His dramatic change in behavior shocked me.  "I know I've been terrible to you, and I was terrible to you when I asked you to meet me here, but I feel awful for what I've done. You don't deserve all my trouble, and I'm sorry."

I was speechless. I've never known Niall to apologize to anyone, let alone me. It made no sense whatsoever.

"There is one more thing. I think you should stop being friends with Liam."

"What? Why?"

"He's hiding something, and it's big. Honestly, I really think he's going to end up hurting you. The secret he is keeping is really damaging."

Why does he care? Of all the people in the world, he should be the last to care what happens to Liam or me. "What do you mean?" I asked, desperate for more answers.

"It's hard to explain, but he's not who you think he is. You should ask him if he'd hiding anything."

"Okay."

"I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow."

What an ass. There's no way I can trust him after the way he's treated me the last two years - it must be some prank or a ploy to try and tear Liam and I apart.

He did seem kind of genuine, though.

I walked back to where Liam was waiting. He asked me how it went, looking down at me curiously. I told him what Niall said, leaving out the part about Liam being having a secret from me. I wanted to wait to ask him, but as our walk back home got quieter and quieter, I couldn't resist.

"Niall said that you're hiding something big from me."

"You don't believe him, do you?"

"He seemed pretty convinced, and you have been acting weird lately."

"What would I have to hide from you? You're my best friend; I would never keep a secret that would hurt you."

"Would you keep a regular secret?" I shifted my gaze to his soft brown eyes, worry sinking in me at his hesitation.

"That's not what this is about." He quickly shifted his gaze and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"That's exactly what this is about."

"If the secret would hurt you I would tell you, but it doesn't. There is no way I would put you in harms way."

"Well what is the secret?"

"I can't tell you." I looked away from him, the ball of worry in my stomach growing bigger. Stopping both of us dead in our tracks, he turned me to look at him. "Darling, please trust me."

"I do trust you."

"Then let me take you back home and we can talk about this more before you get too cold."

I hadn't noticed the frosty air nipping at our skin. I was too busy hoping the secret wasn't something that would hurt our friendship. What bothers me most is how Niall, of all people, knows Liam's secrets before I do. How would he find them out, and why does he care enough to tell me?

As I slunk up the front steps of my house, I invited Liam inside so we could talk more.

"You look pretty tired, are you sure you shouldn't go straight to bed?"

"Don't have to baby sit me."

"I'm just trying to make sure that you stay healthy and safe. I care about you." He seemed happy to stay with me, despite the tension. He'd been in my room a thousand times before, but I still felt nervous to have him up here.

He kicked off his shoes and jumped the bed, patting the area next to him. I smiled softly and slid in next to his side.

"I will tell you someday soon. I know you don't want me to keep any secrets in the first place, but we just have to wait until the time is right."

"I don't know, Li. I mean it's fine for you to have your secrets but I just find it strange that Niall knew something that I didn't."

"I don't know, baby."

I grinned softly at the nickname. That one is my favorite. He pulled me tighter against his chest, letting me lay my head down on his soft Cotton shirt.

"Good night, Liam."

"Good night love. I'll see you in the morning." I fell asleep right then, his arms secured tightly around my body.