Mark Cohen- Dinner (c)

"Would you like to order now?"

You let out a sigh. That was the fourth time the waitress had asked that question. You were supposed to be on a date with a guy from work, but he hadn't turned up. You had arranged to meet an hour ago at the restaurant, so you'd been sat at a table sipping water and eating the free bread since then, however he still hadn't shown.

"Can I have a few more minutes?" You smiled politely, not wanting to give in to the fact that he may not turn up at all.

She sighed before walking away to stand by the bar and keep staring at you as she had done for most of the hour you'd been there waiting. You were being optimistic though. Maybe traffic was bad, or the subway wasn't running or anything rather than him standing you up.

Ten minutes later you were ready to leave, and you could see the waitress heading your way to ask the dreaded question again. Before you could stand up, the chair opposite you slid out. You looked up from the table to see a redheaded man in glasses whom you'd never seen before sitting down opposite you.

"I'm sorry I'm late," he smiled.

You cocked your eyebrow at him, confused as to why he was sat with you.

He leaned across the table to seem as though he was kissing your cheek.

"I'm sorry. I saw the way the waitress kept looking at you and I didn't want you to look so sad and alone."

He sat back down, and you couldn't help but smile. The waitress approached your table with a shocked expression. Her face was worth the world, you didn't care that your date hadn't turned up but were more than glad to just see her shocked expression at the fact you had a date.

"Would you like to order?" She asked a fake smile on her face.

"Can I just have a moment?" The man asked.

She walked away with a roll of her eyes.

The man jutted his hand out over the table for you to shake.

"I'm Mark by the way," he smiled.

"Y/N," you responded. "Thank you for rescuing me from that awkwardness. I swear she'd have laughed me out of the building. If you want to just leave that's fine, but could I buy you dinner? As a thank you."

He let out a small laugh, shaking his head. "Traditionally isn't it supposed to be the guy that pays for dinner?"

You rolled your eyes at him.

"But you didn't exactly come out to go on a date with me, it just kind of happened."

"Well it may not have been the plan, but I can't deny my chance to have a date with a beautiful woman," he smiled softly. "I'd happily pay for the world for that."

You couldn't help the blush that appeared on your face.

"Thank you. You are too sweet."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request