Thursday Drama

Mila and her friends entered the Slytherin common room just before their curfew the first night and settled into their space. The first years went excitedly off to bed, the second years soon after with the third years, and soon only fourth and older remained awake in the Dungeons. It seemed as though no one had plans to sleep that evening. Each student had their idea of what the school year would look like in comparison to the last. Draco kept his position on a high horse, insisting he and his father knew best. Mila was only caught rolling her eyes a few times while he spoke but mocked his expressions each time he spoke with his back turned to her. Daphne, Millicent, and Blaise thought this was funny, but Pansy was turning purple trying not to burst out in anger at Mila for poking fun at her precious Draco.

"Pansy, dear, are you feeling well?" Mila asked, interrupting Draco's story about the house-elf his family had recently felt inclined to disown. "You look a bit... stressed?"

"I'm fine," Pansy huffed, not daring to mention anything to Draco.

Mila chuckled, "Malfoy, I think your story's driving her mad."

Draco snarled in response. "And what of your summer, Davie? Hang around too many mudbloods? Muggles? Certainly not many wizards."

"It's character building," Mila said confidently. She lounged comfortably on a couch just in front of the fireplace while Draco was to her right in a large chair, no doubt under the impression he was somehow high and mighty because of it. "Would serve you well."

Draco snorted in response, allowing himself to smile, but didn't bother saying anything. Instead, Pansy took it upon herself to come to Draco's rescue.

"Some of us Slytherin aren't a disgrace to our name," Pansy said. "It's disgusting that you run 'round the world with that kind and then return here like you still deserve to even sit in this common room. I do hope you scrubbed the germs from your skin and clothes before coming back, at least."

"Pansy, you'd be blessed to receive even one of my germs," Mila retorted. "Your Hogwarts house doesn't mean shit in the real world and you're a fool if you think it does... Besides, I carry on the Slytherin legacy in more creative ways than being a snide bitch."

Crabbe and Goyle let out guttural laughs, while Pansy floundered. She looked over at Draco for support, but he was too busy staring at the fire with a poorly hidden grin to notice. Blaise clapped her on the back but was sniggering as well. It didn't take long afterward for Pansy to excuse herself and return to the dorm room, Millicent in tow.

Mila and Daphne hung around with the boys for another hour, playing chess and swapping candies. Neither wanted to face Pansy in their dorm until she and Millicent were fast asleep. Crabbe and Goyle were next to leave. Which left four. Zabini was alone on the couch, flipping through a Quibbler he'd snatched from Ravenclaw first year while Daphne leaned against his legs on the ground. Draco was less than fully present in their group, thinking hard about something no one dared ask about. His legs hung over the armrest as he sprawled across the cushioned surface. Mila's back was support by the bottom of his chair as she sat on the floor with Daphne. She was mindful to avoid touching him with even her hair after their exchange at dinner.

"That's three times," Daphne scowled, watching Mila's knight sack her king. "How many times can I lose in one night?"

"Care to find out?" Mila asked cheekily.

"Hmph," Daphne smirked. "No, actually. I think it's time for me to head to bed."

"Same," Blaise yawned, stretching his arms above his head.

Mila said goodnight to Zabini and Greengrass before standing up herself and yawning. It was nearing two in the morning and she'd have to begin classes the following day. Picking up her chessboard, Mila turned to Draco.