Chapter 5

Chapter 5

My wrists and hands burned and i was almost positive I was causing myself more pain than him. He screeched and I shoved the stake deeper. His hands clawed at his chest and then came cracking down against my jaw. I let go of the stake. Samael yanked it out and jerked me up by my hair. My feet didn't even touch the ground. He threw me at the far wall with such force, I felt as though I were flying. When I hit the wall, I heard the crack. I dropped to the floor, my whole body on fire. There was a sharp noise ringing in my ears. It took me a moment before I realized that it was me shrieking. What happened next was total chaos. Tasha made a gurgling scream and Nikita wailed. There was a crash followed by banging and a fight became audible. I suddenly couldn't feel anymore. It was like I was hovering above my body, watching with new clarity as Eddie attacked the Stirgoi. He was limping and pathetically weak, but seemed determined. He had grabbed the stake from where it had clattered to the floor and was using it to fend off the four Strigoi before him. It didn't seem to be doing much good, but the silver stake in his hand served to keep the Strigoi at bay. They only dared minor blows, the bite of the stake the only thing keeping them away. Eddie was injured more severely than I had ever seen him. Dried blood caked the side of his head, his forehead dripping with perspiration, and I saw some of his bones jutting out at unnatural angles. He strained to keep the fierce expression while behind it, he was in agony. The four Strigoi danced around Eddie with vicious expressions. He dodged each attack, but when Samael made his strike, Eddie took the blow to the shoulder so that he could shove the stake into Samael's chest. Even though Eddie lacked his usual strength, he was precise in hitting the same exact spot that i had already staked him. Samael made a strangled noise and collapsed, the stake sliding out of him as he hit the floor. Tasha wailed mournfully and lunged at Eddie with bared fangs. He jumped to the side expertly and shoved the stake into the back of her leg. Nikita's eyes flashed with intrigue at the new challenge and jumped in to save her friend. She was agile and caught Eddie's leg. He kicked her with his other foot and sunk the stake in her back. She looked shocked as she fell in a lifeless heap. I couldnt believe Eddie had fought so well. Of course it didnt last. When the blow finally came, I started to scream, but no sound came out. Nazar saw his dead mate and sprang up off his feet and knocked Eddie into the ground. The stake clattered off to the side and, in that moment, I knew Eddie was going to die.