Chapter Eighteen

Commissioner Alan Dixon sat proudly at his desk reviewing the recent case file. His dull blue eyes slowly scanned the contents of the file he had raised towards his face, occasionally squinting his eyes; his wife had kept reminding him to book an eye test for months. She hoped one day he would eventually listen to her.

The afternoon sun illuminated his office and reflected off his computer screen.

Oliver Bruce knocked on the office door before he entered. Alan mentioned with his hand for Oliver to take a seat in one of the lavish brown leather office chairs. His eyes scanned the almost bare office where no pictures of family or art graced the walls of available space. He noticed that Alan's ash blonde hair brushed back, and he used an extra-strong gel to hold it in place. He donned a grey pin-stripe suit with black loafers. Unlike other departments, Alan Dixon preferred to be smartly dressed, which fit with how high up on the food chain he was.

"What can I do for you, Oliver?" Alan asked once he placed the case file back on his desk.

"We need a warrant for this address," Oliver paused and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to Alan. "We believe this is the location where our missing girl is being held captive."

"Hertford, the same place as those two dead girls?" he raised his eyebrow.

"My team thinks both of the cases are connected. Our FTA Hallie Carter has received the case files from the police force in Hertford and is currently combing through them to confirm the link."

Happy with the information provided to him, Alan granted them the warrant for the property - even extended it to be validated for forty-eight hours instead of twenty-four. He pulled up the warrant form on his computer and clicked away on his keyboard, feeding it the information before pressing print. The printer behind his desk and chair hissed as it swallowed a piece of paper from the tray. He signed on the dotted line and handed it to Oliver.

"Before you go, Oliver, I would like to have a quick word," Alan announced all of a sudden as Oliver rose from the chair.

"Okay, I am listening." Oliver cocked his eyebrow and sat back down, facing him. He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Unfortunately, it is about DCI Morgan Chester, again. There have been some complaints made about her."

Oliver chuckled and pinched the bridge of his nose. "There are always complaints about DCI Chester. It does get easier once you get to know her."

"Maybe, but bullying other departments is unacceptable, Oliver. The comments she makes towards and about people are abusive and offensive." He explained as he leant back in his chair. Despite his small build, the springs whined in pain.

"Can she be a bit hot-headed? Yes, I am the first to admit to that. But she does get the job done."

"She takes dangerous risks that put everyone in danger. Do you remember last year she almost got FTA Carter killed? She had no experience in the field, and DCI Chester knew that but still put the poor girl forward." He argued.

"Yes, she had a decision to make, and it was a risk putting FTA Carter undercover, but they managed to shut down a whole trafficking ring by doing so. DCI Chester is one of the best cadets to come out of the Academy." Oliver tried to reason with him calmly.

Alan sighed and rubbed his hand over his chin. The cabinet beside his desk filed all the solved cases and reports from each team member. Each file had a signing off declaration from Anti-Corruption attached as part of the protocol.

DCI Chester never played by the rules. She was lucky never to be pulled up on her actions.

Yes, she was one of the best graduates from The Academy and one of the best detectives the London force had in years. Alan dreaded the day she would make a grave mistake that would jeopardise and incriminate the department.