30

It was much harder than Jeongyeon had thought.

Over the next week, she tried many times to find the perfect moment to tell Nayeon how she felt, but she kept failing.

There were many failed attempts. Once, at the ice rink, she accidentally bumped into a kid and nearly hurt him because she was so nervous. Another time, she got Nayeon to go for a walk, but they were interrupted by a talkative businessman who kept Nayeon busy for hours. And, of course, Jihyo was always interrupting.

Jeongyeon started to think she had the worst timing ever.

She began to believe that the universe was against her. She couldn't figure out why she kept failing. Maybe she needed to wait and let fate, God, or the universe take its course.

----------

The days went by quickly. They did a lot of things together, like watching movies, ice skating, having snowball fights, and going to the cinema. Jeongyeon and Jieun were treated like family, and she felt very grateful. She never felt out of place during her stay, and neither did Jieun.

Everything seemed perfect, except for Jeongyeon's constant failed attempts to tell Nayeon how she felt, and the daily texts from Irene that she ignored. She didn't understand Irene's actions and didn't care much. It was surprising to her that Irene said she loved Seulgi but couldn't leave her alone.

"Good morning, Jeongyeon," Nayeon said as she sat down next to her. Jeongyeon looked up and smiled.

"Hey," she replied.

It was around 9 a.m., and today was New Year's Eve. Nayeon seemed really excited.

"How did you sleep?" Nayeon asked, taking some pancakes and bacon on her plate.

"Good. I was starting to worry. Where is everyone?" Jeongyeon asked. Usually, everyone was up by 8:30 a.m. and having breakfast, but today, it was just her and Nayeon at the table.

"Mom and Dad probably took Prof. Lee with them," Nayeon said while eating her pancake. "They went shopping."

"Shopping for what?" Jeongyeon asked.

"For today," Nayeon answered with a smile. Jeongyeon felt a bit panicked.

"Do you guys exchange gifts on New Year's?" she asked, worried that she might have missed something.

Nayeon laughed.

"No, of course not!" she said, giggling. "They probably went to buy extra food and things," she explained with a shrug.

"Oh," Jeongyeon said, relieved.

"You're supposed to wear all white today, or at least mostly white," Nayeon told her. Jeongyeon looked puzzled.

"Why?" Jeongyeon asked.

"It's a tradition," Nayeon explained. "It's a Brazilian tradition followed in many places. The idea is that if you start the year wearing white, you'll have good luck."

Jeongyeon nodded, though she still looked unsure.

"White doesn't really suit me," Jeongyeon said, but Nayeon looked at her with big, pleading eyes.

"Please, Jeongyeon? Wearing white would mean a lot to me," she said. Jeongyeon sighed and agreed.

"Alright, I'll wear white," she said, and Nayeon's face lit up with a big smile.

"Could you let Prof. Lee know too?" Nayeon asked.

"Okay," Jeongyeon said with a smile.

----------