Yokai Are Real

An insect scuttled across a branch of a tree. Then a net was swung, trying to catch it. Startled, the insect flew away.

Nate: Oh man, that was a great one.

Nate Adams and his friends Bear and Eddie were bug hunting on Mount Wildwood. Nate was an average 12-year-old, with nothing special about him. He wasn't any good at sports or tests, he was quite plain. His friend Bear had a stocky build, hence his nickname. His friend Eddie is into computers and his parents are kinda rich. The three of them like to hang out together at weekends, as they were currently doing. Nate returned to his friends having caught one bug.

Nate: All I got was this little cicada.

Eddie was reading from an insect book to identify what they caught.

Eddie: Is that all? I caught a cicada and two other bugs, too.

Bear: Well get this, you guys!

The two looked at him holding out a hand with a large beetle in it.

Nate: Whoa, that's enormous!

Eddie: It's a stag beetle. Not a bad find, Bear!

Bear: I knew I could get something better than you, Nate.

Eddie: Yeah, even I did. You're just...average.

Hearing people call him that word was like a dagger through Nate's heart.

Nate: Average?

Katie: Hey, boys!

The three turned and all blushed at seeing a pretty girl run towards them excitedly. It was their classmate Katie Forester.

Nate: Katie!

Bear: What are you doing here?

Katie: I wanted to see if I could look for bugs with you guys!

Eddie: You can do anything with me!

All three boys had a crush on the girl, but she didn't know it. Nate completely adored her. She was one of the only girls he had ever talked to.

Katie: So what did you guys find?

Bear: I found a big stag beetle, but Nate found a tiny cicada.

Eddie: Yeah, it's average just like him.

Bear and Eddie burst out laughing at how pathetic they thought Nate was. They had no idea it felt like bullying to the boy. Katie watched her friend leave angrily into the bushes to find more bugs.

Katie: Look what you guys did! You upset him!

Eddie: Relax, it was just a joke.

Bear: Yeah, Nate just needs to chill out.

Katie made a note in her head to get better friends and tried to go after Nate.

Eddie: Hey, look what you did you big jerk! You drove Katie away! I want to spend as much time with her as a possible!

Bear: Hey, I was gonna do that!

The two began to argue over Katie.

...

Nate was walking angrily through the trees.

Nate: I'll show them who's average when I find a really big bug and show it to them.

Then he saw a firefly fly past him.

Nate: Whoa, look at that! That's totally not average! And maybe I'll even impress Katie!