#1 Opening scene

A young Mulan watches from afar as her father, Hua Zhou, practices his swordplay in the fields. She imitates him, almost perfectly, with a bamboo pole, evident that she has done this many times before. Her presence does not go unnoticed from her father, who sneaks behind her while she concentrates on her moves. When she looks up, her father is gone, and she is startled by her father's hand touching her shoulder from behind.

She immediately hangs her head in shame, as girls are discouraged to learn martial arts and swordplay, and it is considered a disgrace to the family. Rather, they should learn how to be a good wife to be eligible for marriage.

But Mulan's father smiled tenderly at his firstborn, and started correcting her posture and gesturing for her to follow his movements. He loved his daughters and did not have the heart to stop them from doing what they like. Moreover, Mulan reminded him of his younger self very much: A hard worker, brave, loyal and determined. The fire in her eyes reflected his own many years ago; the same fire that led him to victory in battles and made him a famous and honoured soldier.

After a hard day of training, Mulan and her father head back to their village. Mulan's mother, Hua Li, frowned at Mulan upon seeing her daughter with her father, "I cannot count the number of times you have ran away from weaving lessons, how are you going to be marriageable at this rate?". Beside her, Hua Xiu is working hard at weaving cloth, almost done with a piece having spent her whole afternoon with her mother. "And why are you so dirty? Can't you be more obedient and lady-like like your sister? Don't let me worry so much about you!".

Mulan, angered by her mother, threw her things down and stormed off towards the family shrine to be alone. "Mulan!" Hua Li shouted after her agitatedly and moved to chase after her, but was stopped by Hua Xiu. "Leave the child alone, she is still young," Hua Xiu says. "Stop making excuses for her! Don't forget that Mulan is a daughter, not a son. She needs to learn how to be a good wife in order to marry. That is how a good daughter should bring honour to the family." Hua Xiu frowns but is quiet, he knows his wife is right. "What man would want to marry a girl that runs around all day getting dirty and not know how to cook or clean?" Hua Li mutters, more to herself as she worries about Mulan. But her words struck a chord with Hua Xiu.

Later that night, Hua Xiu finds Mulan sitting near the ancestral altar, sobbing. Hua Xiu sighs and takes out his sword and a special medallion. "Do you know how I got these Mulan?" he asks, settling himself next to her. "Yes, they were gifted to you from the Emperor himself, after the war" she replies, having heard the story many times before. "That's right, as I had done the noble thing and sacrificed myself to protect the Emperor and the country as a soldier. These are evidence that I have brought honour to the family.". Mulan touches the medallion, feeling the coolness of the material with her fingertips. "I want to be like you Father, to be brave and to bring honour to the family, how can I be like you?" Mulan asks. Hua Xiu sighs and braces himself to break his daughter's heart. "A girl brings honour to the family by marrying and being a good wife," he says, "Do you think you can do that?".