Chapter Twenty-Seven - Violet

The sound of sirens make me nervous as I pace the suite at the Intercontinental on Park Lane hotel. This is our temporary accommodation whilst Cutter and her team figure out what to do next. With her husband dead, and following the kidnapping attempt, it is pretty clear to Cutter that Miranda is in danger. I can't complain about the luxuriousness of the hotel suite, or the four elite SCO19 officers assigned to protect Miranda at all times. At least I don't need to worry about her. But I despise the feeling of being locked up, trapped, and Cutter has made it very clear I should remain in protection alongside Miranda.

Meanwhile I have multiple messages in the girls' group chat from Jo and Laura. Jo is asking when anyone is ever coming home, meanwhile Laura is stuck at work, and Celia is still missing (although I noticed she is still in our group chat, which gives me hope she may one day forgive me). I send a quick message saying I am staying with my mum for a bit, which I guess is not a total lie. A message from Max pings through and I catch my breath when I see he has forwarded me one from Celia.

We need to talk, meet me at Barking Power station at four pm, Celia

Max has written to me that he suspects it is a trap but will go anyway. Obviously it is a trap but that message was sent from Celia's phone. Worry gnaws at me that something terrible has happened to her. I tuck myself away in the second room of the suite, out of earshot from Miranda and the officers, then call Max again.

'Oh, so you are answering now?'

I breathe deeply through my annoyance at him. Sometimes he can be incredibly frustrating. One moment acting as though the only thing he cares about is the stupid USB file, and the next moment sending me messages that he is going to find Celia.

'It is very obviously a trap.'

'If you are about to tell me not to go-'

'I'm coming with you,' I interrupt shortly, rummaging through my hastily packed bag to find the black leggings and hoodie I wore when we went to City Hall. I start to tear off my clothes to pull these on.

Max inhales sharply. 'No way-'

'Max!' I hiss, 'she's my best friend. Of course I am going with you.' I grab the temporary hero mask and secure it over my eyes, then tug my boots on last. 'Marshall is missing. Justice is not going to sit back and do nothing. We have no other leads on Castlemain-' I spin around and break off. Miranda is standing right behind me. 'Oh, fuck.'

'What?' Max sounds alarmed.

'Uh, nothing. Don't go without me!' I hang up quickly.

Miranda and I are both frozen, staring at each other. Me trying to come up with a plausible explanation for what I am doing, and her probably putting two and two together. Finally she sighs.

'Your father assured me you were done with this,' she says, gesturing to my outfit.

I open my mouth in surprise, and quickly close it. 'You knew?'

'Of course, Violet. I'm a woman and a mother.'

'So then you know about Castlemain? Meridian? The file?'

Her cheeks flush darkly, whether in shock or anger, it is difficult to know. 'I do not want to hear you speak the name of that organisation, do you understand?' She shudders as though experiencing a traumatic memory. 'That is a part of the past your father and I agreed to never talk about.'

'Castlemain suspects you know something, that's why he tried to have you kidnapped.' I walk over and take her hand. 'Please... mum. You must tell me what you know?'