Chapter 7

I headed to the locker room to shower and get changed. 

I kept thinking about Zack as I blow-dried my hair. I couldn't help myself, he was so infuriating and I just couldn't figure him out. 

I understood that he felt threatened, I guess, but it wasn't as if I was stealing his position; I was just filling a gap on the team. He was still the captain, still the star. The rest of the team seemed to be coming around to the idea of a girl on the team just fine, but he was so stubborn. 

I sighed as I placed the hairdryer back on the wall, and my attention wandered to tryouts on Friday. The only thing in my favour was that Coach had sole responsibility for picking new players, and Zack had no input on the decision. 

I was pretty sure I'd make the team, but didn't want to jinx it. Something could always go wrong. 

I threw my bag over my shoulder and made my way outside to the quad. The sun warmed my face as I observed the first students making their way into school. It was still early, but I spotted Jake and Ryan sat on the edge of the fountain in the centre. 

Jake looked up from his phone as I walked over and grinned. He opened his backpack and pulled out my soccer cleats, which were now sparkling clean. 

"Your majesty," He said, holding them up and bowing. 

I laughed and inspected them. 

"Not bad." 

"I aim to please." He chuckled. 

I put the cleats in my bag and sat on the wall in between them. 

"You're here early." Ryan remarked. 

"Snuck in a gym sesh." I replied. 

Ryan pulled a face. "You got up early to workout? Gross."

Jake laughed, "Ryan doesn't do mornings."

"Some of us aren't officially on the team yet, so gotta put the work in." I shrugged. 

Jake nudged me, "Dude, you're gonna make the team."

Ryan nodded, "100%."

We sat and people watched as more and more students arrived, and the quad started to fill. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something fly through the air, and turned just in time to see a football hurtling towards me, hard. 

I caught it easily, but nearly fell backwards into the fountain from the power of it. Jake grabbed me and pulled me back upright. 

I looked in the direction of the throw and saw - of course - Chelsea, stood with a small group of jocks, glaring at me. She'd obviously wanted payback for the yoghurt incident and had hoped the ball would knock me into the fountain. 

Well unlucky bitch, you're forgetting I'm an athlete. 

"You ok?" Ryan asked. 

I nodded, giving Chelsea a sarcastic wave. 

"Looks like you started a war." Jake announced. 

I raised an eyebrow, "You mean you started one? I don't remember throwing that yoghurt."

He winced, "My bad."

I smiled, "No worries. Who's the jerk she's with?"

Ryan smirked, "That's Chad, captain of the football team. Total d-bag."

"Hmm."

I stood up from the wall and marched towards the group with the football in my hand, heading straight for Chad. He was around 6"4, blonde hair, absolutely huge.