Chapter 6|

Three days I have been a part of this. Three days I have been doing this for Anne. And as a new sister, I didn’t want to tarnish what little bit of sisterhood we had between the two of us. I didn’t want it to go away before it was even established. I walked to Anne’s little makeshift clubhouse to hear. “The name Saskatchewan originated with the Plains Indians. Their word was kisiskatchewan, meaning the river that flows swiftly, in reference to the most important waterways running through their territory, the North and South Saskatchewan Rivers. 

“I love the way Native names always mean something specific, don't you? I wonder what my name would be if I was a North American Native? Fire-Haired Dreamer? Or maybe She Who Speaks With Trees. I know. Kindred Spirit. 

“That could work! What's that, dear Griselda? Yes, you're right, as usual. It's getting late and your princess must away to her castle. I'll see you in the bright and shiny morning, dear students.” 

“Annie! I’m here!” I said, making my presence known. 

She jumped and turned towards me in the midst of grabbing her hat. And the two of us walked to Green Gables together, our arms looped together. Just like we had always done. We walked into the kitchen. 

“Sorry we’re late. There was just so much to learn!” Anne said as we put out hats on the hooks. 

“How was the District of Saskatchewan?” Marilla asked. I know that tone. 

Anne started to say while I tried to stop her. “Oh, fascinating. I had another excellent day. I learned so much and I imagine Mr. Phillips was quite impressed and.” she finally stopped when she saw her school things. Oh heck. 

We got a visit from the Minister the next day in the early morning. To talk about both me and Anne. I sat quietly next to Anne as Marilla vented about it. 

“And she lied and then lied some more. Right to our faces. And she had the audacity to bring [Y/N] along with the lie. I've been doing my best to teach her right from wrong, but, well, this matter is so grave that we knew we had to bring it to you.” Marilla explained. 

“Indeed, indeed. You did right. It's a very good thing I'm here. God frowns on fibbing, young ladies.” the Minister told us. 

“I imagine he does. I see now how truly wrong I was.” Anne apologized. 

“Wrong and disrespectful.” the Minister added. 

“I assure you, Minister, I am full of woe.” Anne told him. 

“Yes-”

“And also dismay.” Anne interrupted him. “With a good measure of chagrin. I can only hope it pleases God to know how truly unhappy I am. Does it?” 

“That is something you must pray on. Now, Anne, [Y/N], you must always remember: honesty is the best policy.” he told us. 

“Honesty isn't actually a policy, though, is it?” asked Anne. Now is not the time to be a philosopher. 

“I beg your pardon?” he asked her. 

“Anne!” Marilla scolded her. 

“Well, I believe that wh-” 

“I see now what you're up against.” the minister interrupted her. “It doesn't matter what you think!” 

“About anything, or-.” 

“Do you agree never to lie again?” he interrupted her again. 

I nodded as Anne said, “Is a lie of omission really a lie?”

“You see? She's not sorry.” Marilla getsured to her. 

“I am sorry, Marilla. I truly am sorry for vexing you and for-.”

“You said you were going to school.” Marilla interrupted her. 

“I went in a fashion.” Was there a tad of sarcasm I sense in your voice? 

“Do the both of you take us for fools?” asked Marilla. 

“But they hate me there! [Y/N]’s the only one not too!” Anne told her. 

“Enough! You must learn to harness yourself. I see what the problem is here. Oh, yes, I do indeed. And I have divined an answer. This problem is easily solved. If the girl doesn't want to go to school, then she shouldn't go. She should stay home and learn proper housekeeping until she marries.  Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.’ There's no need for her to bother with an education. Every young woman should learn how to be a good wife.” he told us. 

That is something that Anne never wanted to be. After his words, the Minister left and we all went our seperate ways. Which meant me and Anne were helping with getting the water. 

“I don't know quite what I expected the minister to say, but I assure you it wasn't that. And I fear preparing myself to be a wife will be a powerful challenge for you, Marilla. Admittedly I'm very homely and clumsy. It'll be a big surprise to both of us if I marry someday. I certainly never expected to, but if God decrees it-.”

“Will you please go in the barn and see if there's anything needs doing?” Marilla interrupted her. “And [Y/N], don’t you have an actual place to be. I need to hear myself think.” 

Hello, everyone! Two updates in less than a week. Am I cool or what? Anyways, I started wtaching Promised Neverland and your girl has a thing for emo boys so I created a Ray x Reader called Hook, Line, and Sinker. If any of you are interested, I published it a few moments ago.