Like Something Out of a Dream

"Miss?" His voice calls from behind the counter. I pull my attention back to my work. The customer's basket sits on the counter, still filled to the brim.

"O-Oh, I'm sorry." I hurriedly scan the items. "I'm just a little distracted today." The scanner sings out its repetitive chimes, as I sweep the items across the counter. I want to look outside. I don't want to miss him today. I slide the final item through and look to the register.

"That'll be $16.34, please." He reaches into his pocket, so I turn back towards the window. No sign of him yet. The corner of my eye catches movement. I turn and see the customer's hand outstretched towards me holding a card. The card reads first try. I return his card along with the receipt. "Thank you. Come again." He takes the bags and walks off. The doorbell chimes, as the door swings closed. Well, that was it. The one customer I've had all day. I slouch on the counter, yet maintain my view of the window.

"Come on, Ted." I glance down at my watch. Almost Noon. Last week he was here right around this time. Just after Mark had come in. A couple walks by the store window. I fix my posture, in case they come in. They don't so much as even gaze through the window; fixated on nothing but each other. I reassume my unhealthy posture as they walk by. I continue my gaze out of the window; he should be by any second now. Mark walks into view. He glances into the shop, and notices me. He waves a lone wave, and enters as I again correct my posture.

"Wow, you really do show up early a lot."

"O-Oh, yeah. Better to be late than early." He states, and then catches his mistake. "I-I uh, mean better to be...early than...late." He nervously coughs into his fist. He looks around the store. "Wow, dead again today, huh?"

"M-hm. That's why I said last week that I could find something else better to do than this." And today I have my perfect plan to set into motion.

"R-right...I guess you did say that." The room is as silent as it was when I was alone. Mark clears his throat. "Well, if you want to head out a little early. I can take over from here."

"Really? Thanks Mark." That'll make it easier to find Ted. I type in my code on the register, and punch out.

"Anytime." Mark walks behind me. I scoot out of the way and let him use the register. Mark begins typing on the register. I pick up the baskets and place them in the pile by the front of the door. I turn and face the door. As I do, I catch the final glimpses of a safari hat moving out of sight.

"Bye Mark." I rush, as I open the door.

"Bye, Maria." I release the door, and let it swing closed. "Oh, and if you ever-" The door closing interrupts him. I move to turn, but Ted is jogging away. Is he running from something? I turn back towards the door.

"I'll ask him later." I mumble to myself and face towards Ted.

"Ted!" I call out to him. He turns around and spots me.

"It's the weirdo lady!" He runs and picks up his pace.

"No! Ted, I'm not a weirdo!" I shout as I begin to chase him. "Wait up!" I continue, but he doesn't stop. This isn't how I planned this out, but if he keeps running, I may lose him again. I'll have to try it now.

"Ted! I want to help you find your sister!" I yell. Ted halts in his tracks and faces me.

"Really?" I catch up with him.

"Yeah." I answer. His eyes beam.

"Okay!" He happily shouts. "Follow me!" Ted immediately resumes his running pace.