Nine

Honghui

"So about Xiuying," I started, "She's from my village. She was my match before we were enlisted into the Imperial Army.

"Aha!" she said. "So you do want to marry her!"

She seemed proud of her discovery, but her eyes showed that she was a bit more upset than she let on.

"Well, that's what I've been trying to talk to you about!" I explain. She looks up at me.

"Oh, I get it!" she said.

"Really?" I asked

"Yeah! You want me to help you with the preparations!" she exclaimed.

"No! I-I don't want to marry her!" I blurt out. Her eyes become HUGE. It looked like she was happy, but then her facial expression turned into something unreadable.

"Why not? The matchmaker matched you with a perfect match!" Mulan said. "She's beautiful, you know."

"Well, we are "unmatched", since I don't want to marry her," I muttered.

"But why? Anyone would be lucky to marry you..." her voice got quieter when she realized what she said. Her face turned red again, and she looked down.

"Aww, thanks!" I chuckled.

"It's not what you think! I don't want to marry you!" she said as she tried to cover-up what she said before.

"Oh, right!" I said, "Of course."

"Why don't you want to marry Xiuying?" she asked.

"I-" I started. Should I tell her? "I want to try to court someone else..."

"Oh?" she asked. "Who?"

"Someone in this training camp..." I tell her.

I hear her gasp. I looked down at her and nodded.

"You should! She is pretty! And kind!" Mulan looked behind me.

I turned my head to see what she was looking at. I was so confused. She was looking at another woman recruit.

I watched as the woman recruit stood up from crouching and gave something that had fallen back to its owner.

"Y-You mean her?" I asked.

"Yeah! Isn't she who you were talking about?" Mulan tilted her head to one side, looking confused.

"Well, no..." I started before Mulan cut me off.

"Of course she is!" Mulan exclaimed, standing up. "Let's go talk to her!"

"It's late, Mulan," I replied. "Maybe tomorrow."

"People usually sleep in about an hour! You have time!" she turned around and walked towards the recruit.

I chased after her. She's making a big mistake! I don't want the recruit, I want Mulan!

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED. I went to sleep last night, and this morning, There were 150 reads! 150! Thank you all SO much! This is awesome! Thanks for reading my story!

-canadiansyrup777 🦋