Thirteen

Honghui

I wake up to rustling coming from the opening of the tent. I sleepily look up, and see a person in recruit clothes go out.

'They must be going out for a morning walk," I thought. 'That seems nice, maybe I'll go join them!'

I changed into my warrior attire, and walked out of the tent.

The cool, crisp morning air hit my face as I walked quietly around camp. I heard loud whispering and a quiet yelp. I turned towards the sound and I saw Mulan walking back into her tent, and Xiuying walking angrily towards our tent.

'What happened? Why was Xiuying angry?' I asked myself. That was... odd...

I quickly caught up to her. I nudged her shoulder with mine.

"Hey, Xiuying?" I asked, "Why do you look angry?"

Xiuying looked at me, and put on a sad face.

"Mulan!" she sobbed dramatically. "S-she threatened m-me."

I looked at her with a confused face. Mulan would never threaten or hurt anyone if they hadn't done so first.

"I find that hard to believe," I mumbled, but she heard it.

"Why? She threatened that she would kill me!" Xiuying cried dramatically once more.

"Why would she do that?" I asked, "Does she have something against you?"

"S-she wants you," Xiuying said quietly, "She likes you."

"O-oh!" I said, pretending to be surprised. I knew that already! We talked about it yesterday! "Why did she threaten you then?"

"She s-said that if I d-don't back o-off, s-she'd kill me," Xiuying wrapped her arms around my neck and nudged her face into my chest. I just stood there. I felt uncomfortable, so I gently pushed her off.

"She did?" I asked, still not believing it.

"Yep!" Xiuying said a bit too happily. I looked at her suspiciously. She was lying. She's hiding something, and I'm going to figure out what.

Mulan

I walked out of my tent and saw Honghui and Xiuying talking. I started walking over, but then remembered what Xiuying said.

'How can I do this?!?' I thought, 'I hate not being able to talk to Honghui..."

I turned around, and walked towards a warrior, getting ready to leave camp for a bit. He was going back to his village, which is the same as mine. I gave him the note that I had rolled up. I had tied it with some straw.

"Give this to Hua Xiu," I instructed, "Don't let anyone else see it, understand?"

"Yes, Officer Hua!" he bowed. I bowed back and walked away.

I almost reached the middle of camp when I felt a hand grip my wrist.

I whipped my head around and saw... Honghui?

"Good morning, Warrior Chen," I bowed, taking my wrist away from his hand.

"Good morning Mulan," he replied.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Yes, you CAN," he answered. "Why did Xiuying-"

"Xiuying?" I cut him off. "No, never talked to Xiuying. Nope."

"But, Xiuying said that you-" he tried again.

"I said, NO," I said once more.

I turned and quickly walked to the center of camp. Honghui ran after me.

Then, he said the one thing that could have made me turn around at that moment. 

And it was the biggest lie I'd ever heard.

Sorry for the late update! I had so much stuff to do, and couldn't write! And, aside from that, ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED READS! 1.7K reads is incredible! Thank you! 

-canadiansyrup777 🦋