Prologue

I leaned forward watching intently as Victor Morgan's fingers danced lightly and expertly across the keys. One might think I was caught up in the music and normally I might have been, being assigned to cover one of Victor Morgan's concerts wasn't exactly a chore, but in reality I was watching him carefully. There was something different about Victor Morgan tonight. He played with a passion that was rarely seen from him and he never looked at the audience. Not once. Not even when he had first come out. His eyes were glued to the wings and I had to wonder why. It was after all my job as a reporter to wonder about these things. even if I was only a society page reporter. I had the apparent good fortune to be seated on the far side of the stage and close to the front. I needed to know what had held his attention for so long. As the last strains of Vivaldi's 'Winter" died away I surreptitiously leaned forward and tried to catch a glimpse of the wings where Victor's attention had been all night. I was just able to catch a glimpse of two people, a guy with blonde streaked hair and a girl with blonde hair, standing back in the wings. Hmm... The guy he had been seen with a couple times if it was the same one, but who was the girl? And were they who he had been staring at so intensely?

With the concert now over I made my way towards the press area backstage. Victor always took a few minutes to talk to us and answer questions although questions about his love life were never answered. I always found it amusing that the other reporters kept asking. Victor Morgan had it all. He belonged to one of the most influential and richest families in Charleston, was blessed with an incredible talent and let's not forget he was quite a looker, too young for me but that didn't mean I couldn't appreciate his looks. The one thing he didn't have was a lot of privacy. I glanced around and was so lost in my thoughts that I almost missed them. Victor and the two from the wings walking to one of the side exit doors. And Victor was holding hands with the girl! I had to follow them. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad person and I had no desire to trash anyone or anything but I was after all a society reporter and this was a juicy bit. Was Victor Morgan off the market? High school girls all over Charleston will be crying if that's the case. And I had a chance to get the story before anyone else. I was so glad I had thought to stow my camera in the hidden pocket of the skirts of my dress. I dug around in the pocket and palmed the camera, following them at a short distance. They exited and I caught the door just before it would have closed. Keeping it cracked I angled myself so I could see and be able to shoot off a couple pics. I took a moment to check out the girl though. She was a little thing standing next Victor and his friend. She had on a light silver, floor length gown with plunging v halter top and a high waist. The bodice was beaded and shimmered in the light coming from above the door while the skirt flowed softly around her curves. Her long, dirty blonde hair hung loose in soft curls down her back with one side pulled back to reveal double heart, diamond earrings. A white gold braclet with a matching double heart charm hung from her wrist. Her makeup was light and natural with just a simple shine on her lips. She was expertly put together and very pretty. I approved, she was definently a match for Victor in the looks department and they looked striking together. I shot off several pictures as the threesome spoke briefly then hugged before the girl and the other boy slipped into a waiting car. Victor leaned on the window the girl opened and I shot one last picture of the two of them looking at each other through the open window, even at this distance I could see the smitten expression on Victor's face. I slipped away and made my way to my car. No need to go to the press room tonight. I already had my story and my editor was going to love it.