Party of the Summer

Uptown Funk was booming in the background as I stood outside. He leaned up against the side of the house, taking a huge drag on the last of his cigarette. He flicked it to the ground and stepped on it. 

"Okay, are you good babes?" I asked him, attempting to take a step. He caught me just as I was about to fall. "Yeah, let's go." He let go of my waist and lead me inside.

By the time we got to the living room, a slower song started playing. But it immediately got switched to another upbeat song. "Sorry about that folks. Wanna keep it lively in here as I can," the guy behind the computer said. He looked at me and started walking over to where I was standing. 

"Jayden!" I shouted over the music. "Izzyyyy. Ay, bro," he nodded at my boyfriend. "So how're you guys likin' the party?" Jayden asked us. "Hell yeah! Great way to start off the new school year!" I told him honestly. "Agreed," Freya jumped in. She hung on to my shoulder to keep herself up. 

It was the last week of August, school was starting on the 2nd of September. I was gonna be in grade 11, and boy was I ever nervous. I had to start picking colleges, areas to live around the college I was accepted in. My friends weren't nervous at all. They were gonna do what they did best, leave it til the end of the school year. 

Suddenly I felt a hand slip into my hand. I looked down and straight up to his face. He leaned towards my ear whispering, "Let's get out of here, we can finish drinking in my basement with better music." I chuckled and followed him out the door. On my way out, I told Freya and Kaitlyn I was leaving. "Your dad's driving you home right now?!" Kat asked me. "Uh, not exactly, uh, he's-" I pointed to my boyfriend, "driving. He lives only a few blocks away, we'll be fine," I assured her. 

We got in his dad's black Hyundai Elantra. Carefully he backed out of the driveway. I rolled down the window, sticking my hand out in the fresh air. "I'm so lucky to have you," He spoke. "Hm," I didn't turn to look at him, I was too focused on how beautiful the night looked. It was only 12:26am and the sky was pitch black. Bright stars filled the emptiness and lights were on everywhere.

Our small town wasn't like you would think it was. Everybody loves it here. We treat each other nicely, mostly everyone gets along, and there's not a care in the world about anything. We just do whatever we want. Lancaster was almost like a dream. 

"Izzzyyyy," He said, putting a hand on my thigh. He took his eyes off the road for a few seconds and glanced at me. "You okay baby? You seem kinda sad," he turned back to the road. He slowed down and turned left. "Huh, yeah, I'm good, sorry," I gave him a half smile.

"Awh, why are we going this way? It's usually kinda busy ," I pointed out. "It's quicker," He shrugged. He moved his hand from my thigh to the steering wheel. Turning my attention back to the window, I played with my medium-length, blonde hair. "Oh, so, my parents are going to the states for the weekend," he voiced. 

Smiling, I playfully teased him, "Does that mean what I think it means?"

"Oh yeah baby, we're going all the way," he slowed down as the traffic light turned red. He winked and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"What's wrong baby?" He said as he pulled away. Without smiling, I told him I was a little disappointed. "I thought we were going to make a fort," the light turned green and he chuckled. "Cute,"

I couldn't help but smile again. Teasing him was just too much fun. "Okay, so you know what's coming up soon, eh baby?" Reaching over, I put my hand on his thigh. The traffic light 15 feet ahead turned green.

"I can't wait-"

"BEN! NO!" I screamed.

Grabbing hold of the wheel, I yanked it towards me. The sound of tires screeching filled the air. Horns blared and cars crashed against each other. The black truck that had crashed into Ben's side of the car wasn't there anymore.

The driver continued driving away from the accident. 

I unbuckled my seat belt and grabbed my boyfriend's shoulder with one hand and caressed his brown hair. "Ben," I said softly. "Ben baby, can you hear me?" He just sat there, his head bleeding and his side of the car was completely smashed. My phone was found on the ground on my side. Sliding my finger upwards, I dialed 3 numbers.

"911, what's your emergency?"