Bad Dreams.

........................

"You're dead... it's time to join us."

Silver lights flashed around the enclosed room, resembling thousands of strobe lights beaming brightly. My head dizzily spun around the room with the feeling that everything was wrong.

"Help..." My voice cracked like an ancient artifact decaying. 

"Hello..." A faint voice spoke, more calming then the other voices that taunted me, that were swallowing me alive.

"W..who's there?" I cried out.

"Someone who can help you. You're safe while I'm here. They can't hurt you. Be still." The voice said.

"I'm scared.. I don't know what's going on.. please help me." I breathed, hot tears running down my cheeks.

"You're fine now, believe me when I tell you that. Listen to me, follow what I say. I'm here to help you. You aren't supposed to be here. It will all make sense soon... stay still and keep breathing."

Time was frozen still while I lay there on a hard bed, in a state of confusion and helplessness. The calming voice stopped speaking, and for awhile all I heard was clashing, thrashing and bashing for what felt like an eternity.

"Can you hear me?" The voice asked. I was relieved when I heard him speak again. "Y-yes I can hear you. What's going on?"

 "They're gone. He's gone. I can get you back home now."

"Wait.. who's gone? Please, answer me!"

Before he responded, I felt a touch. It was a powerful touch that sent tingles all over my body inside and out, and it was almost like I was cured completely. 

My vision blurred. "How did that happen? Why can't I see? I'm so afraid..." My body shook, but the gentle touch held onto my arm to keep my body still. "I can't tell you much.. not yet. It's not your time. You'll wake up now. We'll meet again." He said softly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My head bumped against the wooden headboard waking me up from a heavy sleep. I steadied my breathing, bothered from another nightmare. It was so surreal, so unexplained.  I rubbed my index fingers against my temples and glanced over to the television, where my favorite show supernatural was paused.

I made my way downtown to stop for my daily coffee to get my mind off of running thoughts. The atmosphere was uneasy. The air bitter and uninviting. It seemed like I was the only one outside and although this town was typically small, it was never this quiet and unsettling. It really did seem like I was in a walking dream.

"Excuse me miss, if you're here for the convention, you need to continue walking to the left." A policeman roughly grumbled through a cigar. 

"Sir, I'm actually just out here for the coffee. No thank you."

The fumes of his smoke and natural musk irritated me, clogging my nostrils. Something about him didn't sit right. There was a dark presence around him, as if he wasn't human or someone disguised as human. A deep scar ran across the bottom of his left eye to his lower cheek. He flashed a sharp toothed smile at my response.  "Oh no, coffee can wait mam. You must see this outrageous convention in town, its free of charge. All the kids down here are crazy about it." His sharp accent persuaded. "It's one hell of a show."

Before I could answer, he took hold of my arm and pushed me down the street. Pulling away wasn't easy since his grip was much too strong to let go of. "Back off!" I screamed. The moment he let go, he disappeared.