17: Guess Who's Back?

Two weeks later, my stitches dissolved and I was finally able to go on a mission again as long as I didn’t overexert myself. I was so excited.

The Joker and I lay in my bed after a very passionate hour together. I was too exhausted to get up and put my clothes back on, I just lay on his chest and ran my fingers up and down it.

My hand lifted up to his face, and I started to stroke his scars. He froze immediately, taking my hand and pulling it away. Before I could protest or make any sort of comment, a loud squeaky noise erupted from downstairs.

“PUDDIN’! I’M HOME!”

Joker and I looked at each other with a horrified expression before jumping up and scrambling to put our clothes back on.

“Get out!” I hissed, nearly falling down while putting on my skirt.

“I’m hurrying!” He snapped. Once he had his clothes back on, he ran out of the room and down the stairs. I finished putting my clothes back on and ran down.

“Hey, Harley,” Joker spoke, sighing. He looked up at me as I walked down the stairs, then quickly looked away from me. He didn’t want her to catch that look.

“Hiya puddin’! Love me again yet?” Harley purred, running her hands down Joker’s chest. “Cause I love you, always.”

Rainbow let out a defeated sigh from the other side of the room. “Demoted back to little bitch henchman once more. Yaaay.”

Harley saw my face and blinked, her expression turning harsh. She looked so different in normal clothes with normal makeup. “Oh. You’re still alive.” She turned to Sherbet once the statement left her mouth, but glanced away after a brief eye lock.

I suspiciously looked from Harley to Sherbet. “Did you tell her to kill me while you were gone?”

“No.”

Joker started snickering. “Oh, no, bad Harley.”

Harley snickered. “A good bad, right sweetie?”

“Not this time, Harley. We don’t kill henchmen without my permission,” he growled. “I wouldn’t have promoted Sherbet to take her spot once she was killed off, so I don’t know what you promised her to make her do that.”

Sherbet’s jaw dropped. “She said—“

“I am this close to killing you,” Joker growled at Sherbet, holding up his hand, a little space between his pointer finger and thumb.

I let out a breath and backed up. Harley glared at me. “I just wanted you dead!” she shrieked, pulling Joker’s knife from his pocket.

“Why does everyone try to stab me? Why?” I questioned. “Stab, shank, whatever. I just. . .” I sighed, kicking her in the stomach, causing her to collapse on the floor. The knife slipped out of her hands and slid away from her. Joker bent down and put it away.

“Harley, go back to Arkham. You’re worse. . . “ Rainbow sighed.

Harley frowned. “No, I’m sane now!”

We were all quiet. Even Sherbet had nothing to say at this moment. Harley looked around at all of us and sighed. “Okay, maybe I shoulda waited before they deemed me sane instead of breaking out. . .”

“Sounds like that’d be a sound plan, to wait till they deem you sane. Seeing you tried to have me killed, and tried to do that job just now when you found out I was still alive. Yep.” I sighed. “Look, I get we’re all criminals, but there’s honor among us. One of them is to not fuck each other over. . .When we’re on the same fuckin’ team!” I shouted. “God damn!”

Joker didn’t look happy. “If you go killing my henchmen, I’m not gonna be the number one villain around here anymore,” he muttered, then smiled widely, stroking her cheek. “Come on, Harley. . .“ he cooed. “Go back.”

Harley stared at him with wide eyes, then started giggling, her blush becoming visible before she just silently skipped out. I sighed and leaned against the stair railings, but jumped right back up again when Harley peeped her head back in. “Wait for me, puddin’! I’ll be a sane woman once I’m out!” she then popped her head back out, and left.

“I don’t think she understands that sanity doesn’t belong in this lifestyle, but whatever,” I sighed. “You know. Just throw logic out the door. That works, too.”

Joker shook his head. “She’s been like that ever since I flirted with her in Arkham. I was trying to get out of there and she was easy to crack.” He grinned. “And I’m just so good looking!”

I crossed my arms. I couldn’t believe what had just happened.

Everyone who had witnessed what just happened looked at us in shock, then at Sherbet. I guess they realized Sherbet wasn’t involved with The Joker again, and they were starting to look at me once more.

I didn’t mention it to The Joker. Him and I were doing just fine, and I didn’t want to ruin our relationship because of this drama.