Chapter 55: Wrongful Arrest Pt. 1

Zanovia Brown:

I was sitting in a chair next to Hunter's bed, I just stared at my baby. He looked lifeless he has yet to wake up and that was breaking my heart. I couldn't sleep or eat, I couldn't even leave his side. Anything could happen and I wanted to be here if it did. 

When his eyes opened and they connected with mine, my heart sped up. "Hunter?" I say and he slightly smiled.

"Mommy." He spoke weakly his voice was hoarse it sound like it hurt him to talk.

"Hey baby you okay? How you feel?" I asked him as I ran my fingers through his short curls .

"I'm hungry can I get a steak or something?" He mumbled looking around, I laughed shaking my head.

"You can have whatever you want baby."

"Good morning Mrs. Brown." Hunter's doctor said entering the room.

"He's awake." I said to his doctor slowly getting out of the chair, I was 6 months pregnant and I was already huge.

"Hey Hunter how do you feel man?"

"Hungry." Hunter responded as the doctor began touching Hunter's hands and feet.

"You feel that?"

"Yes sir can you stop rubbing me like that I know I had a girlfriend before I went to sleep." Hunter replied making me laugh. "Where's Dad and everybody?"

"Well buddy only one person is allowed to stay with you overnight." The doctor explained.

Hunter laughed, "Mom why didn't you go home? You pregnant." He said and I was just happy that my baby was smiling and talking. His doctor was listening to his heart beat.

"And you were hurt I couldn't sleep." I say

"Everything seems to be fine I'll run some more tests and see if there's any thing we should be worried about." He says to me and I nodded before he exited the room leaving me and Hunter alone.

"He shot me for no reason ma.." Hunter mumbled and his eyes watered, "He wasn't listening to me he just automatically assumed I was a criminal and I'm not."

"I know baby, and that's my fault. I should've taught you about those kinds of people and how to react when you're in that kind of situation-"

"But you shouldn't have to I didn't do any-"

"I know but this is the world we live in. The only reason he shot you was because you were black baby boy."

"Well what's wrong with that?" He asked finally looking at me, I wiped his tears and smiled.

"Nothing, black is beautiful and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. In their eyes you are automatically a criminal, and that's not fair baby but that's just the world we live in."

"Did they arrest him? I was at the old penthouse ma, I wasn't doin nothin."

"They didn't arrest him yet, they are still investigating it. He says you were trying to rob the house an-"