You got time for a sinner? | t.h. imagine

«You know, control... control is overrated» said Tom, right before he fell on his knees. His right hand was still on his stomach, trying to stop the blood.

Maxine took a step back, the gun still in her trembling hands. Oh, God. Oh, God, I shot him. She couldn't think straight. That was the line she didn't want to cross. When you work outside the law, you don't follow the book, but the rules are still there. There's the good and there's the bad in the world. You have to pick a side. She did a long time ago, but meeting Tom changed things.

«You made me do this! You did!» she shouted. Her voice seemed so desperate. Maybe it really was.

Tom grinned. He didn't care. Perhaps, what he had always wanted was a slow and brutal death. A death that served as punishment for what he had done.

«If I wanted you to shoot me, I would have just asked, don't you think?»

He was bleeding out, but the sarcasm still remained.

«Fuck you, Tom» she spilled out, like her words were venom to him.

«No, fuck me, Max. You promised me! I paid you for that and you didn't have the guts to do it!» he accused her.

«You didn't tell me I had to kill someone! I am a private investigator, a bounty hunter, but not a killer! That's the difference between you and me. I had to stop you.»

«Yeah and now we're gonna end up in prison or worse

Maxine felt a cold shiver running from the bottom of her spine to her head.

«What do you mean?»

Tom laughed, a very odd laugh, like it was faked. He coughed blood, standing on the floor because of the tiredness.

«Oh baby girl, I'm the king of everything, but when it comes to God, I'm just a sinner and these people... they want you to make ammend, in their own fucking way. They're God on Earth. If you think you can escape them, let me tell you babe, you're so damn wrong.»

Maxine didn't even have the time to say something, that she heard some shots. Tom had passed out, so she was completely alone now. And the footsteps were close. She had to run, but she didn't want to leave him there. So she tried to wake him up, preying he would open his eyes finally.

«Tom! Tom, come on! Please, we have to run away from here!» she called, looking everywhere to see if there was someone nearby. «Tom!»

Tom opened his eyes.

«If this is Heaven, it's not funny. I don't wanna see your face again anymore.»

«Fuck you, Tom.»

«You always say that but, you know, you don't even try. I assure you I would totally be fine if...»

«Wake up, you idiot!»

She helped him to stand on his feet and then tried to go somewhere, but they had no time. They hid in some kind of locker, trying not to talk. Tom was so hot, it seemed like he had a fever. Maxine let her hand slip along his arm and then she closed her fingers between his ones, while the other hand maintained the loaded gun.

«I know you're not evil, Tom. Don't say a word, okay? I beg you not to.»

Tom nodded his head, his breath so slowed down and the grip of his hand so weak that it seemed that life was about to abandon him at any moment.

Maxine held her breath like she was about to drown.

There was silence on the other side. Minutes passed so slowly, while she was trying to stay quiet and Tom's head for resting on her shoulder. He would have died soon, if they wouldn't get out from there. She just hoped they wouldn't find that locker.