Revelations

Before he was cursed with the sinking ship of his father's company, Adrien loved to sleep in on the weekends. Now, he was lucky to get even half of what he'd usually slept, considering that in addition to his work at Gabriel, it was also the end of the spring semester at his school and the workload was overwhelming. Just a little longer, though, and he'd be free to focus on his 'help Marinette and finally atone for your sins' mission full-time. Adrien could hardly wait, which was a little weird considering how much stuff he'd have to learn and do to make that happen.

"What are you grinning about?" Plagg yawned, floating out of his bed-bucket.

Adrien stretched. "Nothing in particular. Just that things are finally starting to look brighter."

"Lying to your girlfriend to get food out of her is bright?" Plagg scoffed, flying away to the kitchen.

"I haven't told a single lie, and she isn't my girlfriend."

"You kissed her, and you liked it."

"Can you let it go, Plagg? We've talked about this. It wasn't—"

"Man, she's going to hate you even more when she finds out who exactly was kissing her."

Adrien glared at the pesky creature. "That's why we aren't telling her, Plagg."

"She'll find out eventually," the kwami shrugged, stuffing his mouth with his morning dose of Camembert. "Better get ready for it instead of denying the obvious."

With a growl, Adrien flopped back into his sheets. Pushing Plagg's words aside, he closed his eyes, trying to focus on his schedule for today. First work, then lunch with Nino, and then... more work. He couldn't afford to have his weekends off anymore.

"Oh, I know," Plagg mumbled, finishing his wheel of cheese. "Your high school crush on Princess is coming back. That's why you're making dumb decisions—"

"I did not have a crush on Marinette," Adrien said, sitting up. "I've always loved Ladybug."

"Sure," Plagg smirked. "Keep telling yourself that."

"That's the truth."

"That's bullshit, and you know it," Plagg countered, his arms on his hips. "You could afford all the croissants in the world, yet you kept abusing your powers and going to her balcony for treats."

"That's because her pastries were amazing, and Marinette was a great company. But that doesn't mean I had a crush on her."

"Sure. That's why you tried to spend as much time as possible with her. And not as Chat only, but as Adrien as well. Ugh! All those blushes and cutesy stuff." Plagg shivered. "Disgusting."

"It wasn't like that, Plagg. We were just friends."

"And don't get me started on this whole 'helping her' business," the kwami continued to grumble. "I told you it was insane even then, didn't I? But no! You had to risk everything for her. Look where it got you. And how did she thank you? She took your heart and trampled it under her feet."

Adrien fell silent.

"That's why you didn't try hard enough to reach out after they cut you off. It wasn't only your pride that got bruised. Your heart got broken as well."

"You can think whatever you want," Adrien mumbled quietly, getting out of bed. "But having a close friend doesn't mean I have a crush on her. My heart has always belonged to Ladybug."

Plagg groaned in exasperation and flew off. Adrien went about his morning routine, pushing aside Plagg's ridiculous claims and letting his thoughts race back to Nino. The prospect of meeting with his former best friend left him confused at best. Thrilled? Not exactly. More like nervous? Anxious? But nevertheless, kind of glad because the rejection and the refusal to let him at least explain himself still stung. Adrien spent years being bitter and resentful about that and had a lot to say. And today he was going to say everything because he didn't really care about the way this meeting would go. He wasn't looking to renew the friendship. An explanation, closure and the strength to move on: that was all Adrien wanted.