For Her

Being a physics teacher, Adrien was used to solving problems. Yet, finding a competent assistant for Marinette fast enough was proving to be more difficult than he'd ever thought possible.

Sure, there were hundreds of applications and resumes stored in Gabriel's database but none of the qualified people contacted in the last two days had agreed to come for an interview. Most had already had a job. Others, though jobless, were not willing to give a seemingly doomed company a chance.

Adrien shouldn't despair though... or at least, that what his HR manager had said as he left for the day. Surely, tomorrow they would find a person crazy enough to jump on board. They might need a little training and time to work on their skills but at least they would be there. Right?

Adrien sighed, leaning into his chair. No. Marinette needed a professional, not a student to teach right now. At any other time, that might have worked but not this close to the show that bore her professional future on its metaphorical shoulders.

Adrien glanced at the clock. Half an hour until nine. A smile found its way on his face, his mouth salivating from just the memory. Yesterday's meal was the best he'd had in a long time. Marinette was an amazing cook. Adrien knew his cuisine. He could recognize quality when he tasted it.

"Time to go." Adrien stretched, standing up. "Ready, guys?"

"What's the rush?" Plagg yawned, lazily flying out of his basket. "You need five minutes to get there, tops."

"We need to drop by a store and my apartment first."

"What for?" the kwami grumbled. "Didn't you run enough today?"

"I thought it'd be polite for us to bring a dessert," Adrien replied. "And Duusu needs more grapes."

"Yippie!" The peacock kwami flew out from one of the shelves, doing a flip in midair. "Can I get the sweet green kind with a little pinkish tint on them?"

"They are called Cotton Candy, Duusu," Nooroo said, getting out of his pile of fabric. "And they're not in season now. You know that."

"But what if they are?"

"They are not."

"But what if they are?"

"Duusu—"

"If they're in stock, I'll make sure to buy you enough for a week," Adrien interrupted, putting on his jacket. "Otherwise, I'll stock on a variety for you to try. Sounds good?"

"Yes!" Duusu squealed. "Thank you! You're the best Master ever!"

"Nooroo, you can take some of those cuts before we leave. I noticed you like them."

Nooroo's eyes lit up. "You're so generous, Master! Thank you!" He dove into the pile to gather as many pieces of silk as he could.

Plagg huffed, rolling his eyes. "Nuisances. Did we really have to take them with us? They would've been perfectly fine staying home. Better yet dormant back in their miraculouses."

"They've been isolated for long enough," Adrien replied. "I think they deserve some freedom for once."

"Not at the expense of my peace," Plagg grumbled.

Adrien reached over and scratched his kwami under the chin, evoking an involuntary purr from him. "You'll benefit from being around other kwamis, Plagg. Maybe then you'll become less grumpy."

"Being grumpy is not art just anyone can muster," Plagg mumbled under his breath, flying into Adrien's bag. Duusu and Nooroo, with his pile of silk cuts, joined him a moment later. Adrien turned the light off and walked out of the office. After a quick visit to a nearby grocery store, he transformed around the corner and headed home to drop off Nooroo and Duusu. Appeasing the kwamis with food and Netflix, Adrien changed into his loungewear so he'd be able to just plop into a bed right after Marinette's, then headed off to collect his rent fee.