Ch. 1: Beach City Bakery

Summary: Steven wakes up to a new day of work, where he meets an interesting stranger.

———————————————————————————

Steven woke up. He checked the clock on his nightstand beside his bed. 5:15am. Plenty of time to get ready and head for work.

He sat up and ruffled his hair to the perfect style. He didn't bother to use a comb or brush. His hair doesn't behave well anyways.

He yawned and stood up from his bed, hobbling over to his bathroom. He was still half-asleep so, all his actions were tiring.

Brushed his teeth, changed his clothes, and headed downstairs, where he was greeted by his aunts. Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl.

They had unusual names. Names after gemstones. It probably came from his mom's side of the family. Or so he's told. He's never met or seen his mother before. His father told him that she died after giving birth to him. Unfortunate but, his aunts were sort of like his mothers.

Pearl clasped her hands together and smiled. Garnet smirked and leaned against the kitchen island. Amethyst picked her teeth and grinned.

"Steven! We have some breakfast for you!" Pearl exclaimed, grabbing a plate of toast and eggs.

"Sorry, Pearl. I'm running late." Steven laughed nervously and grabbed the single piece of toast.

"You're not late, Steven." Garnet said.

"Ugh, Steven, relax. It's fine if you're late for a few minutes." Amethyst pointed out.

"Sorry guys, I'll just leave now." Steven ran out the door and sprinted by the sidewalk.

He was thinking about his aunts and how they acted everyday. Pearl was the mom of the group. She always prepared breakfast for him and greeted him with a smile. Garnet was mysterious. As long as he could remember, Garnet would make statements that could come true. And they usually would. Amethyst was more of a sister to him. She was always goofing around and having fun.

Steven finished his toast and slowed down when he saw a large sign that read: Beach City Bakery.

"Another day of work." Steven sighed.

"Hey! Weirdo! Whatcha doin' out there?" Someone cried from inside the bakery.

Steven looked down and saw Lars near a table, cleaning it. Steven smiled and walked inside, the door making the bell ring.

"Sorry Lars. Just looking at where I work." Steven said, truthfully.

"You're as weird as shit. Anyways, help Sadie in the back." Lars pointed to the loose doors beside the front counter.

"I'm on it." Steven walked to the back and opened the doors.

Inside was Sadie, wearing an apron, preparing the goods. She glanced at Steven and waved, her hands covered with the gloves.

"Heya Steven! Grab an apron and help me knead the dough here." Sadie waved over to her.

"Oh! Umm, yeah." Steven reached for an apron hanging on a hook and put it on.

He grabbed a pair of gloves and walked beside Sadie. Sadie gave him a sphere of dough and Steven got to work. Sadie smirked and looked over at him.

"Lars gave you a hard time?"

"I wouldn't say he gave me a hard time."

"He's full of bullshit, Steven. Don't mind him."

"Hey, Sadie. No cuss words."