chapter two: the triwizard tournament

THE GREAT HALL was buzzing with energy. At Beauxbatons, there was always excitement on the first day back to school, but it was more like the "clucking hens in heat" kind of energy. This was... different. It was homelike. Less anxiety inducing. Collins was following Fred and George, along with Lee to what she assumed was the Gryffindor table. The idea of Houses was odd to her. She supposed she understood the idea of cooperation among students by placing them with others who shared their same personality types, but it also seemed a bit exclusive. Segregating students off into different factions where they would spend little time getting to meet people different from themselves didn't come off as very progressive.

During the Sorting Ceremony, she watched in bemusement as the twins took turns enchanting paper planes to fly off to the Ravenclaw table. Suddenly, Collins felt someone's eyes on her, and diverted her attention to a scared looking boy on her right.

"Hello."

"H-Hi," he muttered shyly. His gaze flickered down to his lap as his cheeks became tainted pink. He had a deer-in-headlights vibe to him. It reminded her of Quinn.

"What's your name?" She asked kindly.

"Neville Longbottom."

"It's nice to meet you, Neville. I'm Collins." Collins smiled, extending her right hand to Neville. He gave her a sheepish grin, shaking her hand.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted," Dumbledore began, "I'd like to make an announcement." I looked at Neville, confused, and he returned my look and shrugged. "The castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen-" Just then, the most awkward and gangly looking man Collins had ever seen in her life ran up to the podium and whispered something to the headmaster. He muttered a response before turning back towards his students.

Abruptly, a horrendous clap of thunder roared within the hall, causing its inhabitants to jump in surprise. Storm, ironically, hated storms and his owner began to grow worrisome for him. Her attention snapped to the back of the room, where what had to be the most terrifying man on the planet had just barged through the doors. Using his wand, he silenced the unanticipated weather within the castle.

"It is my pleasure to introduce your new Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor, Professor Alastar Moody."

"Mad-Eye," Collins whispered, eyes going wide.

"Who?" A dark-haired boy, seated next to what Collins assumed to be another Weasley, asked.

"Mad-Eye Moody, the auror," the unfamiliar Weasley explained. "Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him."

"Auror?" The first boy asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Dark wizard catcher," the Weasley explained.

"What do you suppose he's drinking from that flask of his?" Asked an Irish accent.

"Dunno, but I doubt it's pumpkin juice," his companion remarked. The dark-haired boy was oddly familiar.

"Furthermore, I would like to make an exceptionally special announcement!" Dumbledore perked. "Hogwarts will not only be your home this year... Hogwarts will be home to the newly reinstated Triwizard Tournament!"

"You're joking!" One of the twins blurted. Collins cracked a smile.

"No, Mr. Weasley, I am not joking - although, I did hear one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar together-" The giddy Headmaster was cut short by Proffesor McGonagall clearing her throat.

"Right, anyway. The Triwizard Tournament... well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely," Dumbledore smiled apologetically.