Chapter 6

Week one of school is down and out, and I'm already swamped with catch up work. It's a vicious cycle I fall into year after year of not studying one bit over the summer--despite Annabeth's nagging--and being completely lost by the beginning of the school year. So being the studious teen that I am, here I am: on a Saturday, procrastinating already. After milling about for most of the morning, I figured I might as well clean up my room a bit. Mom always likes when I keep things tidy without her having asked me to do so. Despite being almost a legal adult though, I feel like an absolute failure. Why would that be? The answer lies in my hands, as my mom giggles from the entrance to my room.

"It's not my fault that fitted sheets are just stupidly made." I try to redeem my inability to fold the darned piece of cloth. She comes over to me and works her mom-magic, and I sigh.

"I'm never going to learn if you always do it for me, mom." She just smiles and ruffles my hair, "Good, you'll always have a reason to keep me around then." I smile back at her, "I don't need a reason." 

She pauses her trek to the linen closet, and blows me a kiss, "You always know the right thing to say, my sweet boy." My face flushes at her pet name. At least she knows to never say it around my friends, otherwise I'd never hear the end of it from Leo and Piper.

"I'm heading out, dear. Working the late shift--Darby is sick again so I'm picking up for her." I smile at my mom's never ending kindness.

"Alright, don't work too hard, mom," She chuckles as she leaves the room and I fall onto my freshly made bed, letting my plush blue comforter envelop me. My backpack sits next to my desk. I try for a solid five minutes to make it disappear with my clearly still-developing telekinetic powers. My phone buzzes and I lazily flop over to check it.

Message from Wise Girl: How's studying going, Seaweed Brain? (13:02)

Eh... possibly nonexistent?

Do I need to come over there? (13:04)

I'm on my way (13:04)

I roll over, my eyes matching the action. At least my room is clean for our impromptu study session. Annie and I have been friends since we were little, she knows me better than I know myself sometimes. For a while we thought that our relationship was more than friends, and that ended up being a little more than awkward for a while. It was before I'd realized that I was not the straightest ruler of them all, but I'm glad it didn't change how we think about each other. Annie has been there for me throughout everything, and I know how lucky I am to have someone like her in my corner.

But that being said, I still groan when I hear the front door opening. No amount of love for my friend will magically transfer any feelings towards schoolwork.

"Oh common, Percy, you can't be this burnt out already," I give her a look, to which she only laughs.

"Just put me out of my misery now please." A heavy weight falls on my back, and my breath leaves me for a moment.

"One comment about my weight and you are failing all your classes this year, Seaweed Brain." I let out a low grumble before pushing her off, "Thanks for making yourself comfortable." She pulls my backpack closer to the bed, and I know I'm not getting out of anything today.

"Where are we starting?" She asks, and I let out my hundredth groan of the day.

A few hours pass before I finally give up.

"Calculus can take all of it's problems and go back to whatever hellhole it spawned from." Annabeth chuckles at my comment, but I don't think she realizes I'm being serious.