𝑖𝑖.

𝗗𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿
"𝖽𝖺𝖽𝖽𝗒 𝖺𝗂𝗇'𝗍 𝖺𝗍 𝗁𝗈𝗆𝖾, 𝗇𝗈.
𝗀𝗈𝗍𝗍𝖺 𝖻𝖾 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗇."

✞

The radio was currently blasting Elvis while Mary Jane was getting ready for the dinner at the Russell's. She was nervous. Even more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. All her old friends back in Texas didn't bother to call. So it had been awhile since she's communicated with anyone outside her family. If efforts to distract her nervousness, Mary Jane swayed and sung to the music in her room.

"I ain't nothin' but a hound dog, crying all the time." She sung lowly as she grabbed her favorite lipstick off her vanity, and stared at herself in the mirror. She wore an white sweater with some jeans, nothing too fancy. She had thought her favorite bright red lipstick would make her outfit complete. But as soon as she removed the cap, her mother walked in her room unannounced.

"Oh, no, no, no! That's what your not going to do." Her mother loudly exclaims, quickly yanking the lipstick from her hands, and throwing it into her trash bin.

"Mom!" She exclaims in slight shock and irritation.

"Red is the devils color. Hookers wear that color. We ain't going to have you make that sort of impression, especially tonight." Her mother's sternly tells her in her strong southern accent, making her daughter slightly cower. Mary Jane knew there wasn't any point in expressing her opinion on the matter, and remained silent. But Judith quickly takes notice of her daughters frown, and grabs ahold of her daughters pale white face.

"God made you beautiful, already—You don't need it." She calmly informs Mary Jane, who's face was currently being squished by her mother's hands.

Mary Jane just nods, allowing Judith to smile, and let go of her face. But before her daughter could usher her out, Judith looks down at her outfit in distaste. Without saying anything, she then walks towards her daughters closet, pulling out her old blue dress from freshman year.

"Don't you think it will clash colors with your dress?" Mary Jane slyly asked her mother, who immediately went into deep thought.

"Your right... Hurry up then." Her mother agrees while putting the dress back into her closet, and making her way out of Mary Janes room to go bother her son next.

Once her mother made her exit, she couldn't help but rolls her eyes, and picks her lipstick out of her trash bin. "Devils color." She scoffs, before putting it back into her makeup bag, and safely into her vanity.

The Russell's house wasn't big, nor was it small. It was like a cute little cabin in the woods. It gave Mary Jane nostalgia—It was like her grandpa's summer house back in Texas.