Part 1

"Do you think I'll get better? Do you really think I'll be able to get myself out of this bed someday?" his voice is as weak as he looks, trembling like his raised hands. "I don't. Honestly, I don't, and I don't want you to either."

"I won't apologize for hoping." His voice cracks and tears well up in his eyes, threatening to spill at any moment.

"I don't want hope. I don't need it, and neither do you." Travis can't even open his eyes anymore, the exhaustion too much to handle. He's wasting away like an old paper bag left out to weather. The wind would blow him to pieces in an instant, scatter him all around.

"Don't do that. Don't act like this is you taking one for the team." Michale's tried to stay strong. Tried to pretend Travis would make fun of him if he ever saw Michale break down. He wouldn't and he doesn't, and that's the problem. There is no excuse to be strong now.

"I can't be taking one for the team when none of this would have ever happened to you, Michale. We both know that."

"I'd switch places with you in a heart beat, If I could." He means it. This never should have happened. Not to Travis, not to the one person in the world who never once wished harm on his worst enemy. This never should have happened.

"I wouldn't let you." His stupid way of showing his love. 

In his head, Michale always jokingly thought about how if it came down to it, Travis would throw himself on the line to save Michale, to have the last word. It hasn't come down to it though. This can't be the end. This can't be it.

"I know. That's your downfall.