Part 2

April 1

"Rise and shine you limp noodle." The living embodiment of the sun bursts through Travis's bedroom door with all of the pomp and circumstance this specific day does not deserve.

Travis rolls over in bed accordingly, hiding his head under the pillow.

"Leave and try that again," he gripes.

"I will not." Michale crosses the room and throws open the closet doors, considering his options as if there are any. "You have to wear your blazer today."

"No."

The clothes land on the bed in a heap, only to be straightened out by Michale a moment later.

"If you get up now, we can stop by the coffee cart on the way through the park."

"Who are we waiting for?" Travis asks. They've been waiting around for the past five minutes. Michale has already said a wistful good-bye to his last sips of coffee.

"I don't know. Her name is Harper." Michale checks his watch as if it really matters when the girl gets there. They'll be late either way.

Travis tips his back against the locker. He'd play on his phone, but he forgot to charge it last night and still has to go to work later. If his aunt can't get a hold of him at any point she'll flip out. Travis shoves his hand in his pockets instead to mess with the stitching, finding a piece of paper instead.

"You only know her first name?" Travis asks, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, why?" Michale isn't looking at Travis. He's looking at the clock down the hall, fighting off the irritation of not being on time.

"You always know everything about everyone." Travis throws a bit of paper at him.

"I haven't even met her." Michale tries to swat away the next wad.

"That never stopped you before." Travis challenges, and hits him again.

"Stop  with the paper." Michale lunges, trying to take it from Travis.

"No." Travis dodges and throws another piece. "What else do you know?"

"Nothing. Stop," Michale says firmly. He never yells at Travis.

"No."

Michale stares Travis down, knowing full well Travis won't stop until his ammo is gone.

In a snap, Michale lunges at Travis, stepping on his shoe so he can't get away.

"Get off of me." Travis tries to shove Michale off, but he's already got a hold of Travis' hand.

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" The voice cuts through their fighting, bitter and sarcastic.

Michale takes the opportunity to give Travis one last shove, grabbing the paper in the process.

"Who are you?" Travis responds with a grunt in the beginning, but finishes off with his signature indifference.

"You are who I think you are," She looks directly at Travis, then glances around the hall, "You should know who I am." She crosses her arms as if her little display should make Travis trip over himself. He almost scoffs, but Michale shoots him a quick glare.

"Harper! Welcome to Mayflower Academy, and the town I presume. I'm Michale Abreo, and this is Travis O'Connor." Michale holds out his hand for a shake, but Harper only looks him up and down.

"Is he always this formal?" Harper asks Travis, who has already pulled out his phone.

"A product of his upbringing." Travis mumbles.

Michale drops his hand and clears his throat, then starts his walk down the hallway. He rambles off a semi-scripted speech of tid-bits about the school, one that is ever changing depending on what is relevant at the time.

Travis just trails behind, letting Michale do his thing.

"You don't have to make a big deal out of this," Harper cuts in. "Just show me where my classes are."

Michale stops short, trying to think of what Harper's looking for.

"Okay. Um, you have English with MR. B, right? Two things you'll need to know are that as far as anyone will ever get to know, Mr. B is his full name. The B is not short for anything. Second, the only thing in his life he feels any positive way about is coffee. With that said, don't ever talk in his class, and you'll be fine."

"And what do you think I should know?" Harper asks Travis like she didn't just listen to Michale .

"Just listen to him." Travis waves a hand in Michale's direction.

She's taken some sort of interest in Travis, which leaves him feeling unsettled and annoyed.  The only person Travis puts any sort of energy toward is Michale. And that just depends on the day.

Harper raises an eyebrow, but finally turns back to Michale when it is clear Travis has nothing more to say. Poor Michale. Of course only Travis can tell, but Harper is going to shake Michale up.