Chapter One • Don't Go

I need some air. Everything is spinning and my head aches. I don't bother grabbing a coat. I open the door to my family's and slip out without my brother noticing. He is my "legal" guardian as one would say. But that's because my mum doesn't speak to us anymore. She doesn't really talk to anyone anymore. She is just stuck in this daze in sadness. Everything went south after my dad died. Liam does everything he can to make sure I am okay. He knows how hard this all is for me. But he isn't really a shoulder to cry on. So I decided I would go for a walk to calm down. I don't really know where I'm going. I just don't want to talk to anyone right now. I shudder against the cold air. It strings my lungs as I take it in slowly. It is late November here in London. The trees are mostly bare and look like tangled spider webs. I walk beside a black gate. I reach my right hand out and my fingers barely hit the metal rods, making a tiny patter sound. It echoed through the empty street. The metal rods stop and I look up. The park gates are in front of me. I walk through them and look around. I sit on a lonely swing. And close my eyes, thinking about what Liam had said earlier.

== flashback ==

"Emma I have exciting news. Come here." Liam called from the kitchen. I stood up from my spot of the couch and walked to him. "What's up dude?" I asked. He smiled and said, " You remember that I am studying to become a pilot. Well I received a letter from the U.N. Air forces' official and they have accepted me. I am going to help fight for freedom, Emma!" I laugh at his excitement. "Oh that's grand Liam. When do you leave?" He scans the paper in his hands. "Six weeks." I froze for a second. That's too soon. Liam can't leave me. He is the only family I have. My mother is still here but she isn't talking. No one believes she will ever again. "Oh. What will happen to me?" I ask, my throat closing up. He looks at me, confused. "You will stay here with mum." A tear falls down my cheek. " you can't just leave me here. I'll be all alone. Mum doesn't speak anymore. She won't even know you have gone." Liam puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Emma, you are not alone. Mum is still here. Yes, she isn't in the best sorts as of now. But maybe you can bring her out of that." I look down at my feet. "We have tried for years. She isn't going to break out of that. She barely eats or comes out of her room. Liam, I can't help her. I'm sorry." He hugs me and says softly in my ear, " I know. I'm sorry. We will figure something out. I promise." I nod and leave the kitchen. I walk up the stairs to my room. I close my door and sit on my bed and stare at the wall. Tears slowly begin to fall again. I wipe them away. He can't leave me. I don't want to be alone. Liam is all I have. I grab my pillow and hug it to my chest. I hear Liam walk past my room and close his door. I slide on my black converse and slowly walk to my door, trying to not make the floor boards creek.

== end of flashback ==

I open my eyes and sigh. I will be alone when Liam leaves. No one to talk to or eat dinner with. My throat begins to burn again. I inhale the cool air and look up. The sky is slowly turning dark. I close my eyes and exhale. A drop hits my cheek. I open my eyes and wipe it. Another hits my hand. Drops fall onto my jeans. I look up again. Clouds are dark and gray. It's probably going to rain. As I thought that, the rain bean to fall faster. I looked around to some sort of shelter to get out of the rain. A blue box stood by the trees. I walked over to it and a sign near the top read 'Police Box.' What the hell is a police box? I knocked on it. Nothing. A crack on thunder booms from behind me. I nearly jump out of my skin. Police box, perfectly fine with me. I pulled the door and my mouth dropped open.