10: Loyalty

Shortly after our revelation, we were summoned to dinner. It was rather peculiar as we sat at our oversized table completely alone. Many filled the dining hall, but no one approached to join us. Thankfully, Tomaso stopped by with a change of clothes for me. A basic comfy white cotton dress reminiscent of what most human females are pretty much wearing.

"Do you think it's strange that the shifters are mingling with the females from our colony, and yet they won't even look our way?" Caraleigh points out after swallowing a bite of her salad. "I mean, we're pretty, right?" she almost sounds insecure.

Caraleigh, insecure? That's a first.

However, This is not the time to expose what I know or think I know. That little encounter in my mind with Kyrios was intense—if real, and the information Tomaso peppered me with earlier - about mating - leads me to believe the shifters are checking out the fresh meat for breeding purposes. It's sickening and not right.

Nothing about this entire situation is right. Focusing on what I factually know, I smile at my typically vivacious sibling.

"You know, I can't seem to shake our conversation from earlier. Sure, it's understood something is really messed up here, but I know you. Caraleigh?" She turns to look at me after gawking at a shifter showing off his muscles to a table of girls our supposed age. "You are fearless," she smiles shyly. "Always pushing the limits and people's patience. You're after the next natural high and care little about your wellbeing—always putting others first." She sniffs and shoves me. "Your mind can calculate at a rapid speed like no other, hence your agility and intelligence." She cocks her chin slightly with pride. "Above all, you're beautiful inside and out, Caraleigh."

I turn to Clementina. "Clem, you, my dear, are gentle and so sweet when it comes to all life. You'd rather be bitten by an insect than kill it. The glass is always half full, never the other way around. You have no ill will towards anyone, regardless of how they treat you. But you are no pushover. They'd be a fool to mistake your kindness for weakness —you are a redhead after all!" She giggles and smiles with a breathtaking grin. "You're an observer and often see things so differently compared to others... this allows you to make assumptions that are usually right and beneficial to all."

"Frances..." she lifts her head at the sound of her name. Squeezing her hand that has been gripped to mine since we left my room. "My dear Frances. You are the strongest among us all. Wise and well beyond your eighteen years." We all share a soft laugh before seriousness finds me once again. "Where you lack in sight, you thrive in all the other senses. Nothing rarely gets past you. You are extremely patient, but if anyone was to dare play you a fool, they'd better hide, as your temper is ferocious when riled. I pity the man who you chose to be your husband." Her smile wavers before she drops her head.

"I may be confused about a lot of things right now, but I know we are sisters," they all look at me. We look so different from each other. Our genetic makeup, skin tone, and personalities are all unique - and yet, we are connected. If not by blood, by some other form," I lower my voice, knowing the shifters have supersonic hearing. "We need to find out how." They all nod and focus on my words. "The King told me he came especially for me... which means you three as well." I look around and lock eyes with Tomaso across the room before he lowers his gaze and looks away to laugh at the ginormous guy next to him. "We need to be careful... but find the link."

"Maybe he's after your body," Caraleigh deadpanned. I smirk and reach for the slight pulsation at my neck. She smiles her mischievous grin. "We should start with what year it is. Try to find out when the Great Fall happened," she takes a bite of her salad. "Maybe then we could start linking the pieces together."

"That would be great if anyone would acknowledge us," Clem adds as she looks around at all the happy faces, oblivious to our sour glares. "I tried talking to Nancy and Doreen, and they were polite but apprehensive like they didn't know me. I don't get it."