Chapter One (Part I)

Hey! A short note here: I know most expect the leads appear in the first book, but I'm going to change it up. These are the leads for another tale, beginning here. Don't you worry; our girl will make quite the splash.

Part One

Chapter One

Jenny Jones stared at the otherwise unassuming bar, biting her bottom lip harder the longer she stood there. No sign, no clear front. She stared down the alleyway to the entrance that seemed to be telling a tale of its own, and Jenny Jones, nervous jitters stroking down her back as she cast glances at every shadow that moved, was listening loud enough to hear what was being said.

Don't try to find us.

Thing was, she'd been trying to find this bar, or better yet, this one person for years. Who would have thought all the continued searching would one day lead to an answer?

Someone stepped into the one-way path. Six feet and over compared to her five feet and seven inches, a long duster coat covered his frame making him an imposing figure to be meeting in an alleyway. Jenny stepped aside, cold breath puffing in the air. He spared her scowling scrutiny, not bothering to stop. A few feet from her, he walked down into the steps that would lead him into the imposing old town building that housed Joe's Bar and Grill.

He'd probably thought her lurking, she thought glumly. It wasn't her fault. How was she not to be frightened of what was ahead? Could she go in there? There was no other answer to it. She had to.

Jenny steeled her spine. The steps leading down into the basement-like entrance was like a maw into some beast's mouth. Standing in the precipice of entering, she felt a shiver of unease and excitement slither down her spine once again. Could the contact be trusted? Was she really about to find the answer she'd been searching for?

What if he was wrong? Her logical mind fought for the last scraps of her sanity as she felt her thigh jerk, her will, and her spirit had finally come to a war. What if she was being made a fool?

She'd been given a clue by one of the members of a secret group of supernatural enthusiasts. All these years she had been driven by a nightmare she could not forget or undo. The face of that creature had continued to torture her, regardless of all the words of disbelief or the psychologists and therapists who had told her otherwise. A manifestation of her fears, a scar from her traumas.

It was these words that drove her forward. If it was a failure, she would accept it and move to the next lead. Right now she was going to put on her big girl pants and push. There was an ulterior motive as to why she was here, the golden halo of a head constantly plaguing her mind besides the monstrous face she could never forget.

Something red appeared on her peripheral. She startled, but as her fearful gaze took in the sight she came to the conclusion it was a camera. No doubt the dark alcove above the owner of the bar had chosen inspired not so pleasant activities. It inspired the speed of Jenny's feet further inside.

She was met with a pair of double doors with no handle to inspire a push or pull. She decided to push. As the door opened, warm air brushed out at her compared to the cold sweeping in from outside. She found music, temperate and curious, and a flush of voices, a contrast to the desolate and isolated entrance she had thus experienced.

No changing her mind now. 

Please Vote, Comment, and Share. You're awesome!