Chapter Four (II)

The staff present jumped back with loud exclamations. They had only neared when she'd crouched into herself. The man had the decency to step back, arms flared out and expression alarmed.

She grabbed one piece, pointed sharply at the end. "Get the fuck out of my bar before I cut that tongue out myself."

He looked at her; they all did. The sound had drawn the attention of the few clients still here to witness the sight, but Hera ignored them. She glared at the man, pointing the glass as slow as she had spoken towards the doors.

He started to shake, pulling the lapels of his coat with a huff. "You do not understand," he began, eyes leveling on hers. "We are only having a calm conversation."

Something pushed into her mind, like a firm press of the thumb at her skin. Hera felt she would have snarled had she the ability to do so. Her head was throbbing, her mind hidden in the storm of rage at this man's audacity.

"Calm my ass," she said, dropping the glass to the table. She caught his surprise, and she held his gaze as she said, "I'm not selling. Now piss off."

With those words, she stepped away looking for the broom she knew was stored under the counter for such incidences. "We haven't even introduced ourselves."

"Scuse me," the detective said. Hera took the broom offered by one of the bartenders, thanking them with a nod, and turned in time to catch the man with a winking bald head pull open one side of his coat to showcase the badge at his side. "I think the lady has made her decision. Would you mind leaving?"

Whoever Sharp Suits was, he did not like being ordered so flippantly to leave. And it was an order, badge and all. It was clear he intended to do something before he left. She caught the gleam of it in his eyes, but when he cast a glance towards the dining area, so quickly she thought she missed it, he shrugged his coat and harrumphed.

"My client will be in touch," he told Hera with a declaration that was meant to frighten her.

"Wonderful. The bourbons will be back next week," she called after his retreating back. "Keep well. Dick."

"Do you make a habit of making enemies?" the detective asked only after the man had stepped out of the building, leaving them in an awkward peace Hera left at that. She began sweeping away the debris of her reaction, finding, in light of rational, no reason for the aggravated anger.

Then the throb of her head intensified and she realized why she had reacted. She dropped the brush, still holding the pan, and clenched her brows. "They keep starting. I end it."

When she next looked to the detective, he was casting a wary glance around her. She supposed it was a dark place to behold, with little lighting in terms of artificial and natural flowing through. She knew that was because of the terrible reconstruction Toni had made in redecoration, cutting off the previous ample supply of light that had usually eclipsed Joe's Bar and Grill.

"What?" she asked.

"There used to be a wall of Joe's prized photos over there," he said, pointing to the newest addition of shelves highlighted, even now, with mood lighting.

That shocked her. "As soon as I find those photos, they're going right up there again. But that's not why you're here."

Hera indicated he follows her as she walked towards the dustpan. Someone walked between her and it, heading for the crates still waiting to be taken to the front. So those guys were late, huh? She remembered how long it took to stack drinks, organize them into the cellar, and make plans to sell them. Uncle Joe used to say, if those guys don't care then they don't matter.

"No. I'm actually here on follow-up about Jenny? Jenny Jones?" he looked hopeful but wary as he regarded her.

Hera felt herself frown again. "Not seen her. Didn't you take her home?"

They were facing each other now, him taller than her by a few inches, probably, but she had a vantage point to the shifting visuals of his emotions. Uncertainty warred with curiosity, a question burning its way in his head but finding resistance at his mouth.

"Word of advice?" she said, feeling her brow arch. "Words not spoken die before they find life."

"Joe?" he asked. She nodded. "Do you serve vampires?"

A/N:

The BALLS(or is it V) that this man has! LOL!!!

As always, if you like something, or don't like it, vote and comment. Show me the looove! *not so cute giggle but a giggle nonetheless.

Next time!