Chapter Thirty-Two: Dying Screams

'I'm scared.' I looked around me frantically searching for the voice that I'd heard, but I was alone on the rocky shore.

'Please forgive me. Please forgive me.' I'd always been able to hear these voices even when no one was actually speaking. I had long ago come to the conclusion that it was the thoughts of other people that I was hearing.

'Help me! Someone anyone help me!" I stood there frozen in place.

'I can't breathe.' I lowered my head and looked at the ground.

'Wait for me.' Why? Why were they dying because of me?

'Don't blame yourself little Wilshire.' How could I not? This was all my fault. They're all dying because of me.

'We've chosen our fates.' I shook my head.

"I should have never been born." I turned my back to the island and looked out to sea. "If I'd never been born, then none of this would be happening." I fell to my knees.

'It hurts.' I shook my head. All of these voices kept echoing in my head. I hunched over and started crying.

"Forgive me." Their voices grew louder and louder. "FORGIVE ME!" I reached up and covered my ears with my hands in a futile attempt to block out the voices that were turning to anguished screams.

'WE'LL NEVER HAND HER OVER!' My hands fell away from my ears, and I placed them on the rocky ground and just sat there crying.

'Jay.' I flinched at the mention of my name, but I wouldn't look up.

I could hear someone walking along the rocks of the rocky shore. Their steps were uneven as if they were limping from an injury. There was a part of me that wished it was one of the invaders, and that part of me wished that they would kill me so that I could die with everyone else on the island that was willing to throw their lives away to protect me. If I did that, then their sacrifice would have been all for not. I raised my head and looked up at the moon.

"Did you know this would happen? Is this why you cursed us?" The person that was walking towards me stopped some distance away and just stood there staring at me.

The smell of smoke was starting to drift from the forest and was drowning out the smell of the saltwater. The fire must have been spreading through the forest and nearing the rocky shore. I couldn't bring myself to turn around and look anymore. I looked down at my blackened hands. The proof that I had used my powers and severed the bond that I had once shared with Mal. This was proof of just how powerful my inherited powers truly were. Even if I were to use them, I wouldn't be able to save the island or its people before I died.

"I'msorry Mal." The person that had joined me on the rocky shore started walkingagain until they stood behind me. "If you're going to kill me then hurry upalready." They didn't say anything.