Prologue

Standing before him above a podium three men stood idly awaiting for the commotion to settle. Silently swearing under his breath he knew his fate was sealed.  Thinking of these thoughts running through his brain exposing circuitry of fright.  With each moment thinking of the endless possibilities he held his breath as he felt death inching closer.

"Dib Membrane, how do you plead?" His father's voice rings out in the large room with a single hanging light hanging above him in the darkness. "We'll need your testimony on the stand. Solemnly swear to tell the whole truth--so help you, son, now raise your right hand."

Dib stands before his father, his honor as he raises his clears his throat to make his stand. "Father, your honor, may I explain? My brain has claimed its glory over me. I've got a good heart albeit insane--" "Condemn him to the infirmary!" The council demanded. Suddenly machines drag Dib out of the room where he father watched him with a heavy heart as Dib was dragged away into the dark.

Entering a hallway Dib tries to escape, but the machines wrap him up in a straight jacket calling him 'insane.' He felt his world slowly crumbling before him as he struggled from his restrains. Gasping randomly begging for air, the jacket was to tight for him to bear.

Screaming calling out he begged there was a mistake and that he's in clinically insane. Throwing him in a padded cell locking the door behind them they leave him alone to himself. Dib watches idly starring at the iron door yelling out: "My genius thirsts for trouble, they are out there I tell you I'm not insane as you all claim!"

Minutes pass into hours suddenly the doors to him room swing open, there stood his father looking down at him coldly. Dib bounced up pleading for him to come to his sense and set him free. Soundless and speechless the father did remain as he dragged Dib from his room into shock therapy.

Strapped down to a table with a large helmet on his head Dr. Membrane reaches for the level beside his head. "Father please, I'm your son! Please think about what you're doing!" Dr. Membrane looked at his son for a moment. "I have no son." He replies pulling down the lever.

Scattering sparks of thought energy deliver him and carry Dib away. "Here in this place there is no escape, here I am the master of this game." Opening his eyes Dib looks to the other side of the room where he sees Zim trapped in a vat. Each time the lever is pulled down both of them get shocked and rythe in pain.

"Now I order you to cower and pray." Another shock sent through their bodies connecting them through thought and body. Repeating the process the endless sparking never seemed to cease. It felt like lightening striking his temples electrifying his brain and scorching his entire body.

Finally after hours of endless seamless torture Dib is thrown back in his cell. He can hear endless echoes of damning thoughts erecting in his brain. Pleads of help and forgiveness he has never heard in a familiar voice. "Help...please." There was no denying it, the voice he heard was Zim's. They're trapped in an horrific place together and now they're connected.

"Zim, can you hear me?" Dib asks thinking telepathy works. He didn't understand why his father continued to call him crazy when he had Zim locked up in a vat hooked up to electric tubes. No reply from the alien. Dib figures he's in this alone.