Chapter thirty one

Keeran

Was this the same woman I had grown up with? The thought sent my head spinning dizzily, so I didn't dwell on it.

Eryce was pacing around what they called the war room in a fit of rage. Bookshelves lined the walls, the spines of the books all dark reds and browns. I sat at a circular table with the green-eyed demon opposite me. A few others had joined us, but I didn't care to know their names either.

Ash had made it.

I folded my arms on the table and watched my mother pace. I'd sworn my oath to take the throne and lead the demons, but not yet to cause the destruction of my people. Which is why Green-eyes was given control over me.

"We plan to strike as soon as possible, now that they have our siphon." Eryce paused to look out the window to the courtyard below. Demons trained and clashed with each other in a vicious circle. She drew in a deep breath. "There will be no moon in three nights; we'll attack then."

I wanted to warn Ash so badly, but magic slammed into me and I winced. The first time the male had done it, I thought they'd broken the bond – but it was just a block on my side. I couldn't reach her at all except for a few very strong emotions that weaselled their way through.

Eryce turned to me. "You are dismissed, Keeran, until we have need of you."

I knew what that meant. She didn't want me to hear what was about to be said. If Ash was prepared for their attack, their chances diminished an inch, but if she knew their strategies, they all but disappeared.

I didn't nod or bow as I stood and strode from the room. The door slammed shut behind me.

I made my way back to my quarters. It had been the same routine for three days. Wake, eat in the dining hall, join my mother for talks that were supposed to teach me how to rule her people, train, sleep.

Right now, I just wanted a shower and to forget about the hell life had become.

At least Ash was out. At least I'd succeeded in something.

I hoped she was enjoying her power, and that she was achieving all those malicious dreams of hers even if she hadn't been the one to kill the council. I hoped she'd lead my pack to further greatness and take what she wanted from the world. I hoped she stayed selfish, because this world had taken everything from her except herself.

I padded to my bathroom and turned the water on freezing cold. The temperature reminded me of the river I'd chucked Ash into, the look of panic in her eyes before that melted into serene cruelty. The heat in the tent afterwards.

I scrubbed myself clean and banished those thoughts – they had warmth and desire pooling in my belly and lower. I wasn't going to see my mate again – and even if I did, it wouldn't be for a very long time.

Maybe she'd make good on her threat. Hadn't she told me she'd fuck whoever she wanted, whenever she wanted? It sent anger and the possessive need to keep her by my side racing through my blood. I braced my hands on the white tiled wall and forced myself to breathe.

These spiralling thoughts were the product of a stretched bond and my own wolf's viciousness at the distance between us. I couldn't afford to show any weakness here in case Eryce exploited it.

I felt the bond for the first time in days flicker and tighten and shudder. Something was happening on the other side. I prodded from my end and my wolf whined.

I caught the end of her sentence – barely.

here.

I didn't understand. Hope and panic thrummed through me. Was Ash here? Why? I'd bargained for her freedom – please tell me she isn't here.

Something exploded the same time my door blew in.

I froze as the red-headed assassin gave me a once over. She was dressed in black, skin-tight clothes that, if we weren't in the middle of something, would be a delight to shred.

"Get dressed, I'm getting you out," Ash said with a killer smirk.